Feed Item
Added a post  to  , Historical Fiction

So, scene transition within a chapter that also starts with a change in speaker...advice? I'm all over the damned place...

Comments
    • By change in speaker, do you mean a change in PoV? Or simply that there are new characters and you're starting the jump with an unintroduced character sdpeaking?

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • A double break may be helpful. Other than that make sure your first sentence emphasises a strong transition. I've been down that road many times, and it can be very frustrating as you lose the all important flow. A.T.B.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thanks Richard, I think I've cracked it.  I've been a very busy bee working with all my feedback in mind and I think things read better for it. Trying to adjust things minutely without losing momentum is harder than I thought it would be. I've found myself decimating entire sections that actually don't add to the narrative, and adding in others that underpin the tone more.  It's been emotional! :)

My goodness but this group is fabulous! I actually like my characters more now...

Sus

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • In one of the videos here at Jericho - I think it may be the one about writing good prose but can't swear to it - the situation you describe comes up. There isn't a strict rule about change of speaker or change of PoV. I battled with it myself before deciding that I felt more comfortable keeping the same voice in any single chapter. (I have no problem with "short" chapters of 1800 words.) To be more precise : I do have chapters where the reader follows the thoughts and actions of more than one character, separated only by double paragraph spacing. They are all narrated in third-person. Chapters written in first person are always the same character. But that's just me.

Multiple first-person points of view were popular for centuries, however. Mostly in the "epistolary" novels. One of my favourites : Les Liaisons Dangereuses

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • I am a bit late here but I had a thought this if it's helpful Susan. If you have multiple speakers throughout a chapter, could you start each scene with the speakers name to keep things straightforward. I can't remember off hand who, but some writers do this when they have multiple first person narrations in a book and they are constantly swapping between them and the voices can become a bit blurred. They start each section with the character name so the reader knows who is speaking. I don't know if this is helpful or perhaps it's not what you're going for but I thought I would mention it:) 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Hi Ida, 

It was more in relation to scene change to be honest, but I had originally started the scene change with the dialogue, which when I was reading it was not making any sense to me, and at that point playing around with it was infuriating... I think I've cracked it now though :)

Thank you so much for posting your advice.  I will sometimes insert the name of the person who is about to speak to lead dialogue when I have 3 or 4 characters having a chinwag, I hate using too much 'he said/ she said' so will sometimes also guide this in the actual dialouge itself (whether or not I ' should' is up for debate - but meh - it works for me lol) 

Best Wishes

Susan

0 0 0 0 0 0
            Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
            Info