Feed Item

Hi everyone,

Some of you may know that we have a very simple (basic!) webchat facility on our community. I would like to arrange some webchats for you all, but I'd like to know what you might find useful. For example, would you like the opportunity to ask questions of authors like myself and Sarah Juckes? Would you like a guided chat about, for example, character or plot? What kind of one hour text based webchat would would most benefit from and enjoy? 

For paying members of Jericho Writers we have a fantastic range of webinars, so this is not to replace those at all, but a fun extra for the community. Do share your ideas! 

Comments
  • Hi Holly, 

I think it's a great idea! I think web chat with authors would be good especially if they are genre specific such ask questions for a Romance  author, Crime, Fantasy, etc...

But I also think that craft oriented web chat would be great especially if people can ask questions  and exchange tips or methods around plot, character, structure, create tension, etc... A great way to get the community talking to one another.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • I think getting to ask you guys questions would be awesome! I recently registered for the “I'm an agent— Ask me Anything!” webinar,  and I'm super excited for it, so I'd go crazy if there was a “I'm an author— Ask me Anything!” webchat too. 

Or a webchat where we can get some feedback on our works, maybe just the opening pages. 

A webchat on prose would also be highly beneficial.

Or you could have a random Q&A, then see which topics people ask about the most, and make a webchat on them haha. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Thank you both! If it was ask an author, would you be happy enough if it was with me for the first one or would you prefer some variety?! Be honest, I won't be offended!

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Well, to be honest... of course it would be absolutely fine if it was with you for the first one!

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • I'd be more than happy with you doing the first one!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • I thoroughly enjoyed your talk during the 'getting published' workshop - it was both interesting and informative. I don't find it so useful if authors just talk about their journey - I've seen that many times and it's interesting, but doesn't necessarily teach us anything (unlike your talk the other day). It is interesting though to know how people write - what methods they choose and why, do they write every day, do they have a special place they like to write, is it time or word count that matters to them, what software they use etc.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • I would enjoy asking authors questions as well. That would be helpful. Topics are not only about the craft of writing, but also about publishing. So wonderful of you to ask.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • I would love to hear from a current YA novelist. It would be great to hear about their process of writing and how they got published. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • The craft of writing and how one or two authors go about it. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Ask the author would be great. Also I think someone suggested like a writer's circle or something where we could get feedback on excerpts of our own writing, etc. All of that would be helpful especially now that many of us can't get out as much as we used to.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Hi Holly, it's very early so I may not be reading this correctly, would this be at a specific time of day?  I am in and out a lot at the moment but if it's live would try to be there, my working hours are changing by the day at the moment. I'd love to hear your journey to becoming a published author, who mentored you, did you win any competitions, how were you discovered etc, etc.  Yes, there is some fantastic material on here, so much of it, but personally I think the rise of someone from unpublished to having a book in a shop is something we could all aspire to and learn from. Or course I'd be interested in anything anyone suggests also.,  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Hi Jane, yes exactly, a set time and date but the chat transcript would be available afterwards if you couldn't make it! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Fantastic, thanks so much for all the kind and helpful feedback. Do daytimes or evenings (UK time initially) suit people best for this kind of thing? Will try to vary it if there's a mixed response to this question! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • evenings would be best, although I could probably try to work in whatever schedule worked best.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Evenings best for me too, though at the moment due to work my shifts are changing so no idea from one week to the next what days I am at work!  It is as mad as it sounds. Thank you Holly, am really looking forward to this, even if I can't make it live!  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • I would like to talk about: What is Women's Fiction?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • For those who missed it: Any chance we could se a re-run of the James Law event? It's currently labelled "Private content."

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Hi Eric, I believe replays of the webinars from Getting Published will be available soon, as a ticket holder you should receive details when they're ready. Best wishes, Holly 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Hi all, thanks to everyone who replied! I have created the first 'ask an author' webchat for 7th May. If this goes well, we can do some more genre-specific or technique-specific chats etc. https://community.jerichowriters.com/page/view-event-profile?id=16 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • I'd love a session on 'bookclub' fiction. I've only recently realised this is what my novel aims to be. I think that it means crossover (high-end) commercial/ (accessible) literary  – ie character-led, issue-driven, good prose, but with a plot. Would be interested to discuss this and hear from anyone else aiming for the same. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Me too Wendy, as defined on the self edit course, I had no idea, so anything on this theme/genre would be really helpful, although happy to watch anything as I am sure we could all learn from most topics.  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Ditto. What are you writing, Jane? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • I would love web chats from middle-grade authors to young-adult who have recently been published. Those who have degrees and those without. Recently attended one by Katie Lowe who’s written the furies. She was brilliant.

Also an in-depth one on characterisation and dialogue please. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • I think a 'what I have learned' chat would be very interesting 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • Just a little reminder that this is tomorrow evening but you can post Qs at any time so don't be shy and ask me anything! https://community.jerichowriters.com/page/view-event-profile?id=16

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.