Feed Item
Added a forum 

Hi, my name is Daniel Ozovehe Williams from Nigeria and I hope this platform puts me on the right track from a passion still wallowing in mediocrity ,to finding expression worthy of reckoning. I wrote and I am still writing, still typing and still wondering! I don't even know if all the effort  is worth anything! But somehow, I am hopeful that these writings of mine would at least contribute to Africa.

Comments
  • Welcome Daniel!

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Thanks Jon

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Hi, Daniel! Welcome! Don't worry, all your efforts are not in vain. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Thanks Stephanie, good to meet you here

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • "…if all the effort  is worth anything!"

That, Daniel, is the big question. One to which, as it happens, you most likely already have the answer. And to find it, I will ask one apparently-simplistic question:

Why do you write?

Answer that - and, maybe, the subsequent question of "What does that mean?" or "Why that?" another three to five times - and we'll be nearing the answer to your big question.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I took my time to look inward as you have advised and I only must be grateful Rick, I feel I have a mentor already!

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Welcome Dianel. "Why do we write?" is the big question. I have heard tell, that writers write because they HAVE to write...and I believe this completely. That it is not an option. Even if we stop for some time, we always come back to it. These days, I write because it's as natural as wanting to eat. Of course, it would be great to be able to say one day, that what I wrote contributed to something good outside of myself. But I write because I just want to create a story, first and foremost. To have created something, for no other reason than to know, that I brought into this world, something unique, something that is me, even if I was the only one who read it. Or perhaps a few close friends. Then that is still an achievement. Everything else is a bonus. That's what I keep in mind when I write. Not only does it make me want to keep doing it, but it allows me to write deliberately and unapologetically. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thanks Sutar, I took in for some reality check! I must be blessed by you.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Hi Daniel, I've been to your magnificent continent a few times, congratulations on reaching out and you are in good hands here, everyone is kind and more than generous with advice and help.  You can ask what you want and someone more than likely will have something to say on the matter or question.  Welcome 😄 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thank God you have something nice to say about Africa. I feel warm for assuring me that I'm in good hands here and of course that includes your hand!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Welcome to the community, Daniel! What kind of thing do you write? Fiction or non-fiction? Would love to know more. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Welcome to the community, Daniel! What kind of thing do you write? Fiction or non-fiction? Would love to know more. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Hi Daniel, Welcome!

As a son of Africa you are in a very good position to make a contribution to Africa, as you put it, because of your very own African experience and voice. Have you heard of the demand in the publishing world for "Own Voices"?

is a hashtag that started on twitter to recommend books about diverse characters written by authors from that same diverse group. This movement has developed and expanded to the point where publishers now won't publish a book set in Africa if the author does not have first hand experience of that part of the world. And readers are increasingly looking for books that depict authentic cultures and experiences in the voices of those who live there.

Personally I love to immerse myself in a book that gives me a taste of another culture. I've never been to Africa and probably never will, so books are my best African experience...

Go for it!

I'm looking forward to reading your work. Tell us a bit about what you are writing.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Thanks and pardon my inadequacies, I'm still trying to get use to things here. I started with poetry and dared into proses, you could say my thing is a mixture of fiction and nonfiction. I consider the African life and develop stories and poetry.  I might need some brushing since writing was for me a passion while I studied accounting! I have over ten unpublished books and currently on a poem collection on covid-19.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • If you'd like to get a feeling about what other writers think of your writings, you could post your work on www.scribophile.com It's an online community group (with a free basic membership) that is strong on critique & feedback.  They accept poetry, fiction and non-fiction. The reason that I'm recommending them here is because they have a very good platform to post work and an easy-to-use facilty to give feedback, line by line or freeform. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                    Info