Feed Item

Hi everyone! Finally found my way here...only been a member for about 8 months! A brief intro then, I write literary fiction but not the highbrow, emporer's new clothes type. Hopefully it's accessible, and I wasn't even convinced it was literary fiction until my agent insisted it was (yes, I have an agent now, this is a fairly recent development after years of absolutely no developments!). We're hoping to send my novel out on submission by the end of June, and then it's just a case of waiting to see what the publishers think. Scary but exciting. Anyway, hope to chat to you all sometime. I'm on Instagram if you are too - @alanfeldbergwrites

Comments
  • Well fricken done on the getting of agent - you bloody legend!! Good luck and keep us posted because I need to know that it actually happens :D - I mean, apart from the bookstores full of books that clearly got agents and publishers... for some reason, that isn't enough for me...

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Thanks! I'm as surprised as you to be honest 😄 believe me there were plenty of false hopes and no hopes along the way and plenty of times when I didnt think it would happen... but there you go, I kept going so long maybe they let me in the room just to stop the banging on the door haha!

What do you write Mariska? Are you working on anything now?

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I stalked you on Insta :D I'm a runner too (are you familiar with the 'Zombies, Run!'  running app?), although I hope I write better than I run.  

I write YA adventurey fiction - my own loves are Indiana Jones and Roald Dahl, so my books are kind of a mash up of elements from both.

But you're all high brow and fancy being a literary writer! How wonderful - what's the premise of your book that's heading into submission? That's so exciting - ooh, are you imagining brutal bidding wars... I've heard that agents forward all those auction emails to you if you want them. I think I'd chew all the skin off my knuckles if I followed along! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Congratulations and good luck with the next round of sub! If you thought submitting to agents is a bit of a rollercoaster, wait until you’re out on submission to publishers! Has your agent sent you their sub list yet? One advice is to decide with your agent beforehand how you want to hear back i.e. do you want an email each time there’s a reply, do you prefer a weekly update regardless of what happens, do you want to know to know the no and why, etc...

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi, I didn’t want to obsessively refresh my inbox wondering when the answers would come in so I asked to have a weekly email even if it’s just to say ‘no news’... And that went out of the window after one day 😂😂

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Haha I can't even pretend I'd be happy with a weekly email! Sign of the times. Instant gratification etc...but I want to hear about every no as it comes in to manage my expectations. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • (as you can see I'm doing already by that answer)

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Well done. Great to hear.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Thank you!

0 0 0 0 0 0
              Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
              Info