Feed Item

Hi, I’m interested to know if anyone has had any experience in being published by a vanity publisher eg Typishly Literary Magazine. It’s really tempting to put something up just to see it go online but I can’t help wondering if it’s all just a grab to get your money. Thoughts? 

Comments
  • Hi Adele, I'm confused you speak about vanity publisher but you mention Typishly Literary Magazine, which a magazine and not a publisher. Are you looking to submit a short story to them? Like a lot of magazine they have a submission fee — looks like it's $5, and you need to submit via Submittable. 

Also magazine submissions are like agent submission they don't take on  and publish everything that's sent to them.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Yes, that’s right, but I’ve not seen any other magazine charge a fee for submission. And it does seem a bit unrealistic to have a 24 hour reply. If anyone has had a good experience—fine, but I’m a bit dubious. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • It's pretty common for magazines to have a submission fee as it normally help pay the readers they use and the admin to run a journal. I've never submitted to that particular journal so I can't comment on the "24-hour reply" promise.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • L's right, I've seen several literary magazines charge a 'reading fee'. Some very well thought of mags do it, though personally, I've stayed away from those kinds of outlets. 

I've just tried to improve my writing, get feedback etc and have gradually improved, won a few small comps, been published online and in women's magazines. I've never gone for magazines with a reading fee. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thanks for that. I haven’t explored submissions to any magazines that charge. I’m not aware of any literary journals here in Australia that do. I could be wrong of course. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Christopher Fielden's (christopherfielden.com) website has 'challenges' flash fiction where everyone who enters gets published. There are absolutely no fees and profits go to charity.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • My first experience of submitting was to a vanity publisher. Problems all the way and although the book has some nice illustrations it’s over priced and they do not market it apart fro putting on Amazon! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.