Feed Item
Added a forum 

Hello there. I’ve been stalking Jericho from afar for a while and making good use of some of its resources, but I’m new to the community, so just saying hi.

I’m currently drafting my first ever attempt at a novel. I’m over 90,000 words in and have set myself a deadline of Christmas to complete my first draft.

Doubtless I’ll be hitting people up for tips on editing in the New Year.

Pamela 

Comments
  • Welcome Pamela! You sound to have made excellent progress already. What sort of novel are you writing? I’m far behind you, with almost 4000 words of a historical novel (also my first) so far. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Thanks Catherine. I’m not altogether sure of the genre of mine, which I concede is a bit of an issue! I was thinking about this point yesterday in fact as I was reviewing where I’ve got to. I’ve just  written the crisis point so was looking back before contemplating how I finish it. I have the last scene clear in my mind but not sure how I will precisely get there.

The novel is set in the near future so has an elect of science-fiction/dystopia but I wouldn’t say that it is main feature. The thrust of the story probably best fits into women’s fiction/ family saga but also has hints of mystery/domestic noir.

Hopefully this will become clearer when it’s finished.

I love historical fiction and have an idea in this Hebrew  for what could be my second project.  What period is your story set in? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Sounds interesting! Hope the remaining mysteries become clear to you soon. Mine is set in 1590s York. I spent several years thinking and researching, but only started the actual writing last month. I’m assuming it will take me till next summer at least to have a first draft, and that’s counting on schools staying open.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Welcome, Pamela! 🙂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hello, new. I'm Jim. Welcome. I wish I could stick to my tarets. You best get tippy tapping on those keys.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Yeah, I've found that works better. In fact, I don't really set targets any more. As long as I've written something resembling quality by my measurements, I'm happy.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Brilliant idea, Catherine. That way you'll never come away disappointed at lack of progress. Adding to your word count is still adding, whether it's 1000 words a day or 100.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • And by aiming for a very modest amount which is easy to achieve, it gives the confidence to do a bit more. I did 1000 words today on that basis.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Nice to meet you, Pamela! 🙂

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Hi Pamela, welcome to a fellow newbie.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Hi Pamela and welcome :)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Hi Pamela!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Thanks everyone! Sorry for typos in my earlier reply to Catherine. Was typing on my phone and wrangling a toddler. Not a useful combination!

I’m finding weekly writing targets work better for me than daily ones. My days are very different depending on childcare and other commitments, so some days I’m realistically not going to get much done, if any. So a weekly target makes me feel less bad on days on which I do nothing, plus it means I can catch up on myself if I have a lazy day and still hit the words I’m trying to get down. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Hello Pamela and welcome.  It sounds like you’ve made a great start already with your book.  Well done.  I’m sure you’ll find a lot of support and practical pointers here. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Oops.  Hit the wrong face.  Meant to be smiley.  Sorry. Good luck with your writing. I’m 80000 words into novel number two. Harder work than one !

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                            Info