Feed Item

I have just read an excellent novel regarding the making of the Oxford Dictionary - and it's set in Jericho!!!!

Comments
    • Oh wow! What's the name and author, that sounds like something we should read!

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • 'The Dictionary of Lost Words' by Pip Williams. I didn't put this in my post because I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Fabulous!  I long to visit Oxford next time I come to England (when this Covid thing is over and done with, which won't be tomorrow) and seek out the area of the town called Jericho.  Sounds exciting. Would love to know the name of the novel.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • 'The Dictionary of Lost Words' by Pip Williams.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I’ve watched the film, The Professor and the Madman, starring Mel Gibson and Sean Penn, which is about how the Oxford dictionary was first compiled. Brilliant film. Perhaps the book is of the same title?

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • No, it isn't the same book, although I have read the one on which the film is based. That book had the same title as the film in the USA, but was published under the title 'The Surgeon of Crowthorne' in the UK. It's by Simon Winchester, is more factual, and also very good. The novel I mentioned in my last post, set in Jericho, is called 'The Dictionary of Lost Words' by Pip Williams.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thanks Helen, I’ll read that. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
            Info