Feed Item
Added a forum 

Has anyone in Jericho Writers used the above company to publish an e-book?  I'm thinking of doing this. Apparently it's free and publishing takes "less than five minutes" (I'm sceptical already).  If you've used KDP I'd be interested to know what the process was like; for instance, was there a lot of complicated formatting to do and would you do it again?

Comments
  • While i've not published anything with KDP, I have played with some of the tools, and walked through part of the setup. Keep in mind, also, that it's the only way to get a book onto Amazon.

Can it be done in five minutes? Sure, if you have all the information to hand. Do you know what genres to apply? The audience as KDP segments? Do you have a blurb? etc. Once you have all that, yes, it's relatively straightforward.

But there are limits to its usability. You can't create a version of your book so you can read it for yourself, on your Kindle, without publishing it first. (At least that's what they told me.)

The formatting side of things is a little more complex. It depends if you want to publish directly from a Word document (in which case, Heading 1 for chapter as a starter), or if you know how to create an epub an upload that. (if you need to ask what/how re ebup, then you aren't ready for that approach.)

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • A friend who has published on Kindle said learning how to get the formatting right took time. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Oh- oh.  Thank you for that, Libby.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I've published two books with KDP. The first (Emotional Intelligence for a Compassionate World) is a workbook for adults. I was able to format it myself and was generally pleased with the result. For my second book, however, a middle-grade novel, I paid an outside service to help with formatting, and I'd definitely do that again (Laughter for Shazpara). I hired someone from Fivver to do the cover, and that was easy enough to upload to KDP. Both books, by the way, are available both as e-books and paperbacks.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • That  reassures me a bit. Thank you.  I need to look more closely at it to decide which way to do it - but that's for the New Year.  

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Hi! Yes, I've published an eBook and novel with KDP, historical fiction called 'Rebecca's Choice'. It is definitely not a 5 minute process, if you would like to produce a decent quality book. I paid to get mine formatted correctly; you need different formatting for each. The eBook formatting is a lot more basic. I would recommend using a professional formatter. I've reviewed more than a few books that sadly lack the professional touch and it really shows.

Best of luck with your book.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Thank you.  I've considered getting an e-book only formatted by a firm such as Y.P.S. but, if the formatting is simpler as you say, I might try do it myself.  It's for something I wrote some time ago.   I must give it some more thought.  With the W.I.P. that I started recently, I'd like to try print publishing by the traditional route (yet again!). 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • I've done the whole thing myself for a novel (One Eye on Reality) and the number of hours it takes is enormous, I'm talking a couple of hundred hours, easily. I've never used an outsource to do any of it but I really think it might well be worthwhile. The difficulty is, if you want to go back and edit / update, the number of pages and formatting will change. If you are doing this for paperback that is a real problem - you probably don't want to keep paying someone for the formatting - if for ebook, I would say just go solo.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Thank you, Matt.  You seem to be confirming that to do it all yourself can be daunting but it might not be so bad for an e-book novella, which is what I have in mind.  It's always useful to know other people's experience and I'll come to a decision in the New Year.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Thank you, Matt.  You seem to be confirming that to do it all yourself can be daunting but it might not be so bad for an e-book novella, which is what I have in mind.  It's always useful to know other people's experience and I'll come to a decision in the New Year.

Blakeney - my e-book and paperback are about to be sel-published and I used an outside source to help me with all of it - at great cost. Cover design, formatting, e-book development and uploading onto Kindle.  I was determined to publish my first book properly and professsionaly. I am so incompetent with anything technical, which is why I went down this path. I am pleased with the visual results of the work that has been done and it has been well worth the money I spent. However, despite using a professional book marketer, it has to be said, they just don't know much about Amazon and its algorithms, or how to choose keywords or category paths - all of which they had to do when uploading to Amazon's KDP. I have since gone back in and edited all the keywords and am currently in the painful process of trying to get the category paths right for each marketplace - very difficult and time consuming. I have learned more about how to do this from online blogs of self-published authors than I have from any book marketing company.

One things is for sure - unless you are a tech wiz, there is no way it can be done in 5 mins - at least not properly and effectively for the long term success of your book.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • I published my 1st book, "Strange doings at Nadgewicke" via Createspace ( paperback) and kdp for ebook. This was 2015 when Createspace was a separate entity. E book was easy. just upload a word doc and it converted everything, once basic format is right (e.g. contents).  I've not done it recently, but looking to publish 3 books in 2021 and considering whether to try  Ingram Spark. Has anyone used them? Any thoughts?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • I am at the same stage as you, with a book to come out shortly, a non fiction with photos in, which I believe are  not suitable for ebooks. I intended to publish as a paperback through Amazon but also wondered about doing the same on Ingram Spark. So need to find more info on them - something I'll be doing over the next few weeks.

When you say "stay up there" do you mean stay up on the sales rankings?My limited experience is that I only made sales of my self help books  by marketing to likely readers- articles in papers, mentions on self help web sites, contacting professional institutes etc.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Hi Barry, I guess I do mean sales rankings, or whatever it is that will keep book on the first few search pages. As a 'searcher' it seems the only sensible way to get to a book is to know the title / author. Amazon site is no good for browsers. What I mean by that, is you cant choose to hop to, say, page 100 just to see what's there. You ca hop to page 3, but thereafter its one page at a time. So if your book is beyond, I guess about page 10, it's gone forever unless you advertise somehow ( which I've not done as yet. Marketing is not my strong point!). I understand that Ingram Sparks gets you into a catalogue accessible by bookshops, libraries etc. But whether that helps or not I just don't know. Definitely an example of ignorance not being bliss. be interested in anything you find :)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Hi Ian Fraid my experience is years out of date. I started my sales by contacting room101, a web site based in Lebanon, for expatriates and persuaded them to include an article about my book - But to Let - The key Steps but my pen name Stuart Powers. I also persuaded about ten Waterstones shops to put the books on the counter - something they won't do now.

I sold just under 20,000 books (19,800) roughly half through Amazon and half through Waterstones. Getting to number 3 on the relevant list.

I don't think my book will work as an ebook on KDP as it has photos in it.

My latest book, Silvertown,'s Missing Son - again non fiction with photos will be issued through Amazon Select just as a paper back and I intend to try and get articles in local newspapers etc.

My feel is that the key is to follow the advice in Harry Binghams book, e.g. Get as many people as possible making reviews, market to the type of reader it will appeal to (by age, male/ female, genre etc), contact bloggers and web sites that may be interested etc. I think these things made more difference to my sales than people looking at seller lists but as I said mine was non-fiction and a long time ago.

Barry

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • I published my first novel A Mother's Loss using KDP end of October 2020. I found the whole process comprehensive and they have guides to help you through the whole process. Ok the ideal is getting a publisher and agent but that is so difficult. Having explored that I tried self- publishing and really glad I did. In just over 2 months have sold nearly 60 books which I see as 60 people who have seen my work and hopefully liked it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • This does help to reassure.  I understand that some writers get picked up by agents from successful e-book publishing.  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • That would be great if it happened! For my next novel I think I will still try the agent route again and then self-publish if it goes nowhere.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Hi, In the last four months of 2020 I published 3 children's books (for 4-7 yr olds) on KDP, both as an ebook and paperback under my pen name Jerzy Jones. I have a backlog of material and because I couldn't get published via normal channels I decided to give KDP a go. The process can take a long time but I bought a course on the internet which provided a step by step guide which was very, very good. (I wouldn't say excellent because I still had questions but these were answered by the helpdesk). My 3 books  'CORBUS SAVES HIS FRIENDS, THE FREEZING COLD SNOWMAN and THE SNOWMAN WHO DIDN'T WANT TO MELT have achieved no.1 slots in different categories. As well as no.1s, I'm making money on the books which is helping me recover my outgoing expenses. If you want anymore details on the course (because it provides much more than a step by step guide to printing on KDP) you can contact me on rprygodz@aol.com. Good luck

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Had a look. Excellent illustrations! Light hearted and fun. So you've never thought of going to Ingram Sparks? perhaps there's no advantage?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • I did put a book on Smashwords.com 3 years ago but decided to pay someone to prepare my book for epub, kindle plus Smashwords. I seem to remember it cost about £100 and saved me a lot of hassle

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • That's surprisingly low-cost, considering what I've been quoted in the past.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Hi, I found this website re pros cons KDP vs Ingram Sparks. Very informative. Not finished reading yet! https://clearsightbooks.com/kdp-ingramspark-which-publishing-platform-is-right-for-you/

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Very helpful - thank you. I am also in the process of trying to work out if I should use KDP or IS. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                      Info