Feed Item
Added a post  to  , Historical Fiction

Hi all,

About 10 years ago, I interviewed my Belarussian Jewish grandfather who was 11 when Germany invaded the USSR in 1941. It's a harrowing story of survival that needs to get down on paper, and now is the time.

I look forward to learning what you all are working on and getting inspired by other writers of the genre.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Comments
  • Welcome to the group. This sounds like an amazing project, Jeremy and, as you say, one that needs to be told. Good luck with it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Thanks, Kate. I look forward to getting to know the community and resources here. Are there groups somewhere on this platform who read and review each other's work?

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • There is a critique section on the main  forum that attracts a lot of reviewers. You can post on here as well but there tends to be less traffic,

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Jeremy, so far I have written 2 books, one published which is very much based on the house we currently live in. However my next project is a nod to my father in law who left Poland during the war as a child and spent time in a Russian camp in Siberia. I know its going to be tough doing the research as he is no longer with us. Any hints and tips you pick up will be appreciated.  

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi Caroline, that sounds like a fascinating project. There are so many stories from that period in history that have been buried in time along with their protagonists! Even though I was lucky enough to get his story on camera, my grandfather passed away almost 2 years ago, before I had a chance to really sink my teeth into it. There are so many questions I want to ask him now -- so I feel your pain when it comes to the research! There is a lot of good info out there though, including personal narratives of people who went through the same stuff during the war. Novels, too. As far as a Russian camp in Siberia, check out the book Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thanks Jeremy. Have ordered and will give it a read.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Hi Jeremy, I really enjoyed Between Shades of Gray - thanks for the recommendation

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • I'm glad you liked it! Another great novel from the time is David Benioff's City of Thieves. Definitely more rated-R but gives a really good impression of what Red Army soldiers were like.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
            Info