Feed Item
Added a post  to  , Crime, Mystery & Thriller Authors

Hi everyone,

I'm not a crime or mystery writer. I'm trying to refind an interview with a mid-list writer which had some original and interesting marketing ideas. It's tricky, because I can't remember the names. I'm hoping that what I do remember might ring a bell with someone. I copied it at the time it was mentioned here, but can't find it anywhere.

A member of JW put a link to the interview on Townhouse earlier this year. What I recall about the writer is that he has tradiionally published for years and decided to go indie so that he could assert more control over all aspects of publication. He's not in the top echelons, but I recall "mid-list" was used in the interview which was quite lengthy and detailed. He's respected as a craftsman, and I believe that he had been writing crime and was known for that, then recently morphed into horror. 

If this is familiar to anyone, I would appreciate even a guess as to the writer's identity even if you don't have the link.

Thank you & best wishes,

Janet 

Comments
  • Hi Janet,

Seems no one else can remember that name either! I wonder if this is of any use to you?

https://insights.bookbub.com/category/book-marketing-ideas/

-Heather

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Thanks, Heather, that's very kind of you.

Funny, I just found the link -- in a folder where I didn't think to look. What does that say about organisation?

The writer is Adam Nevill and he's apparently known for supernatural horror. Maybe that's why nobody remembered the name.

As I mentioned, there were some interesting marketing ideas in the interview. I'll put the link here in case anyone is interested and hasn't seen it.

https://kendallreviews.com/interview-taking-back-control-steve-stred-talks-to-the-brilliant-adam-nevill/

Janet

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Janet, Watched the link. Good advice for horror writers. Best advice for indie/self published authors was that he spends two years on each book (As a reader, I wish more did).

Saw a book the other day that comes with free earrings (character on cover has dangling earrings). Unique, but don't think I'll be trying it (or buying it).

-Heather

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I'm also interested in the possibility of putting a book on Amazon as a perma free-bee. I very much agree with what Adam says about not liking discounts and properly valuing your work -- incluing monetarily. I do recognise that I'm not at all in the same kind of position that he is, but the possibility seems worth exploring.

When a book is demoted to beiing nothing more than a product, then anything can happen, including free earrings!

Janet

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Their are book clubs that will highlight a discount to their members. A freebie short story doesn't seem like overkill. Some writers are giving away signed posters of the cover art, which wouldn't be very expensive.

-Heather

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Cover art is an interesting idea, Heather. Thank you.

Janet

0 0 0 0 0 0
            Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
            Info