Comment to 'Men's Fiction'
Comment to Men's Fiction
  • The term "women's fiction" is not recent at all, it has been around for decades. There are even some publishers that exclusively publish women's fiction, like Virago. If you do a google search "What is women's fiction?" you'll find an array of information on the topic. The basic definition is: women's fiction is fiction written by / for / about women.

I don't have a problem with the expression "women's fiction". I like the idea that women produce a lot more fiction than men and in a genre that suits women and is for women. Men should catch up... 

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Do you think so? I would have thought that there are plenty of men writing about the lives and men and being read by men. I’m not sure whether the substantive difference this all implies really exists. Or whether it should do. Nor am I uninterested in reading about men, just as would like to think there are men who find books written about women worth reading. Why separate them this way? I do understand the historical need, but I’m not convinced it is still helpful.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Agree to disagree. Women's fiction is fiction about women's life experience and an emotional journey.

So by definition men's fiction: Edward St-Aubyn's The Patrick Melrose series, Ian McEwan's Enduring Love, The Cement Garden, Patrick Gale's Take Nothing with You, Nick Hornby's High Fidelity, Fever Pitch, etc...

There are plenty of fiction written by men about men's life experience, it's just called contemporary fiction.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I must frequent different bookstores than you, D.M. I must disagree with you.

0 0 0 0 0 0