Comment to 'Men's Fiction'
Comment to Men's Fiction
  • I’m another who dislikes the term, for the reasons as Laure and others have given. I suppose historically it arises from the fact that for a long time most writing was by men and largely from a male point of view (with female authors often feeling obliged to disguise their identity). Out of this background, having a focus on and encouragement of writing by and about women makes some sort of sense. However now that in writing and publishing at least this has changed, the separation of women’s fiction seems more harmful than helpful, by suggesting these books are less universal than anything written by a man.

As I said in the upmarket/literary/commercial discussion I find it slightly ridiculous that the combined wordsmithery of the writing and publishing worlds can’t come up with some better terms with which to classify our writing. Let’s find some that don’t denigrate writers of other sorts of fiction. Can we do that?

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Twilight is YA not women's fiction. I haven't heard of Dark Hunter so no idea. 

Women's fiction is fiction written by women that focuses on women's life experience, on a woman's journey and often involve some kind of emotional transformation. Women's fiction is different than fiction written by women.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I assumed it was a blanket term for romance, so no romance then?

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Romance is a different genre. 

0 0 0 0 0 0