Comment to 'Introduction to a debut book of short stories'
  • Hi Mark,

I confess I usually skim intros in my haste to get to the good stuff. Occasionally one resonates. That said, my personal take would be to cut to the gist of the situation and begin with paragraph 4. Like you, I enjoy and sometimes write about those experiences that resonate and beg to be remembered. 

Here's my edited version of paragraph 4 (which to me is enough said....though others may, and probably will, differ):

When reading fiction, I tend to reach for stories that feel real, feel possible; stories that, as tumultuous as they may be, could easily be happening down the road. The setting and the protagonists may be what we call ordinary, but the events are often extraordinary. New beginnings, loves, deaths happen every day. All of them unique, all of them deeply moving, at least to the people involved. As we walk through life we sometimes catch glimpses of other lives: couples waving their arms at each other silently in a car while stuck in traffic, people limping home at seven in the morning in full evening attire, little old ladies doing their shopping dressed entirely in black. These are the things worth noticing. These are the things that remind us of our humanity. And these are the situations, at times, where we might be called upon to help. 

You intrigue me with the people limping home and the ladies dressed in black. I want to get to those stories. The babies not so much.  You might suggest the efforts to 'help' often turn into situations that are possibly otherwise.

I'm just 'less is more' mindset, especially as I get older. Hope these  comments help.

Connie

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Connie - Thank you for these comments. You're very right about less is more, and thank to you and the ones who commented earlier I've managed to trim this into down substantially without losing any of the essence.

0 0 0 0 0 0