Comment to 'Does this come across as racist? Or, as it is intended, as an explanation of a misunderstanding?'
  • I want to take up earlier comments that there were no black people in the countryside in 1961.  This is not the case at all.  I was born in 1951 to a white mum and black dad and we lived in the country with my two sisters.  

All my life I have found it annoying that I am always thought of as a foreigner or part of the Windrush generation when my dad from Cuba came to Britain in 1947 and was conscripted into National Service, where he enlist for another three years.  I lived in the same house as my grandfather and aunt and my great grandmother, who moved into the rented house in 1910....

There are many people of similar background who lived in the English countryside.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Yes, I have mixed race family members and in the 1960s onwards we all lived in English villages, sometimes the same village and sometimes different places. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Thanks Julia, that is very helpful. It would be interesting to know what percentage of black people lived in villages compared to living in big urban areas. 

0 0 0 0 0 0