Comment to 'Fear of Failure'
Comment to Fear of Failure
  • Lucy, this post is getting old now, but it has stuck with me for a reason I can't quite describe. I've thought back to times I felt the same, too many unfortunately, but they all pass and life goes on. What I wanted to say is this. You don't have to write a book that's a best seller, just love what you write and share it where you can. That alone will give you great pleasure because you've started your journey.

That journey does not need to be 80000 words. The prose I remember since when I was twenty is this. 'In that book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapters that begins the day I met you, appear the words, ‘here begins a new life.’ 

It would not matter if those were the only words Dante wrote; they are my love, my screaming desire, something I will always aspire to write. 29 words of power-packed passion that will forever be his. And yet, I would guess that 999 of every thousand people in this world have never heard them. But I did, and they changed my life.

You will soon write something like that, and when you do you will know. If you can do it once, you can do it again. Listen and learn, ask questions, but never take critisism from anyone unless it is constructive. Never fear. A 'no thanks' is just two words. You have a life full of beautiful words ahead of you.

So stick out your chest, tell everybody else to F off, and write 29 words of wonder, Lucy. Only 29 words. Rob.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Rob, this is just magical. Thank you so much for adding your thoughts, they are so valuable. I will always remember 29 words of wonder.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I'm impressed at you quoting Dante (and a marvellous 29 words it is). The only quote I remember from English lessons at school is a poem: "God made the little fly and then forgot to tell us why." Wish my memory behaved itself better! LOL!

0 0 0 0 0 0