Comment to 'Feedback on Chapter 1 and 2'
  • Hi Rebecca,

No need to be anxious. We're nice here - well, most of us!

I read the first three pages - at close to 5,000 words, there is a great deal here. Your writing is descriptive. In some parts it's spare (lean). In other areas, there are opportunities to lose some words but improve the narrative. Here's an example:

She reached the classroom door.  Pushing her weight against the oak, she entered the classroom. The door hinges shrieked.  

Becomes:

She reached the classroom door, pushed her weight against the oak and its shrieking hinges, and entered.  

It's not much different, but perhaps a bit more streamlined. Also, the hinges have to shriek before she enters.

Another:

Eleanor cast her eyes down to her school bag, sitting on the desk.

Becomes:

Eleanor looked at her school bag (you have already said the bag is on the desk).

The ability to make your point, still powerfully but in the fewest words, was a key learning point for me. It just takes practise.

My other big recommendation is to introduce character dialogue as early as you can. I can't see any in the three pages I read.

Good luck.

Neal

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Hi Neal

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me this feedback. I love it when someone points out something you just didn't notice. Of course her bag is on the table. 😁 I do become word blind after a while and I suppose it's just practice as you say. I will go back through with a fine toothcomb. 

Yes apologies. That was a lot to upload! I am an over explainer and I think I just word dumped without thinking how much I had uploaded. Very grateful for your time in looking at the first few pages. Thank you very much!

Best wishes

Rebecca

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • My pleasure, Rebecca.

I might post something of my own later, so you will have your chance for revenge!

0 0 0 0 0 0