Comment to 'Self Publishing versus Traditional publishing'
  • If I don’t get anywhere I think I’ll go the self publishing route. However the vanity in me really craves the endorsement of a traditional publisher!  I enjoy writing, not so keen on the marketing, even though in a past life I worked in marketing for a while! I think there are companies who will help with this at a cost! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • I don't think it's vanity to want the endorsement of an agent and publisher. Self-publishing (as distinct from vanity publishing) is perfectly respectable but for many the waters remain a bit muddy. It is very easy to get a shoddy product out there. At least if you publish via the traditional route and then say "I'm a published author" nobody can look down their nose and mutter under their breath "Yes, by your good self." I can see the benefits of self-publishing, and may even do it one day, but I'm afraid I am still very heavily in favour of traditional publishing if I can only get a deal. At least for a debut.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I don't think it's vanity to want the endorsement of an agent and publisher. Self-publishing (as distinct from vanity publishing) is perfectly respectable but for many the waters remain a bit muddy. It is very easy to get a shoddy product out there. At least if you publish via the traditional route and then say "I'm a published author" nobody can look down their nose and mutter under their breath "Yes, by your good self." I can see the benefits of self-publishing, and may even do it one day, but I'm afraid I am still very heavily in favour of traditional publishing if I can only get a deal. At least for a debut.

0 0 0 0 0 0