Comment to 'New to Planning'
Comment to New to Planning
  • Feeling overwhelmed is the brain's way of saying 'we've wandered too deep into the forest'. Sometimes the brain needs a break from too many 'trees' (individual specifics). It needs time to relax and look at the ocean (big picture).

I'm certainly no expert on plotting, but my common sense tells me that while there may be many guidebooks, each traveler has to plan their own route -- and that takes time. Maybe you have to try a few imperfect paths, chop down some brambles, before you find the your way.

Maybe take your conscious self for a walk in nature, and let your subconscious self do its job (plotting). The subconscious always gets there in the end if you give it time and space.

And, if none of this helps, at least you'll have had some 'oxygen to the brain' exercise which will better prepare it for when the more practical tips comes along.

All the best.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Definitely good to walk away if feeling overwhelmed, even if it's only to work on another project 😀

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Mixed metaphor aside, Heather is right. Everyone's path through the forest of plot design is different. It really depends on the type of story you are telling. What is most important to you?

Do you have characters in mind, and want to see what becomes of them? Do you instead have a bulleted outline of events that need to happen to tell a cohesive tale?

Or maybe you're somewhere in between, where your best approach is to do a light pass of each, like a slow form of ripple-shuffling. Spending time on one side learning details that will inform the other, then do the alternate pass. Repeat and rinse until it all comes together. (You'll eventually find there are more than two sides, but details,)

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I think I'm most like the last - a bit of a mixed bag! 😂

0 0 0 0 0 0