Comment to 'Can we discuss comp titles?'
  • I find comp titles really tricky too. I'm now forcing myself away from writing to read for an hour each night before going to bed -- for comp titles and to learn from others.

For sources I interrogate the lovely and very knowledgable people at my local indy bookshop. I find it tricky to use GoodReads as their genres don't seem to be tight enough to help find titles.

Have you read Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovich? When I read your blurb the other day (which, by the way, sounds very exciting), I thought to myself, this sounds like Rivers of London with a psychotherapist.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Better, but remember that for her, it's perfectly normal. She's probably wondered why others are so incomplete that they can't see what she does.

As such, I suspect you need something that ties it together more intimately. For example, it's always been there, and even the loudest noises are fine - though an out-of-tune orchestra would be like the assault of a classroom of toddlers having just discovered paintball - until it's combined with stress. Then, it gets in the way, setting up destructive feedback that drives her from Paris' bustle..

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Thanks, that helps :)

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thanks, but of course the readers won't know the backstory, so I'll need to do a bit more!

0 0 0 0 0 0