Comment to 'OK... I wrote a hunting scene in my medieval fantasy novel, and ...'
  • When I refer to the risk of head-hopping in this situation, I'm working on the assumption that tapping into others' thoughts requires conscious effort. (Just imaging how distracting/confsing it would be otherwise: How big is the group he's riding with? How many horses' thoughts would he have trampling his mind?) Because he would need to be active, it cuts down on how much else he could be doing/concentrating on/aware of. (Have you ever noticed that when you are trying to listen very closely to something, you'll either close your eyes or stare off at nothing?)

The beater bit is fine, except one detail you are forgetting: a boar won't care about the constraints of a path. Come from two ends, he'll go sideways. (As such, a good hunting party is a concave line, so that both sides are blocked.) Also, a forest path isn't going to have a verge per se; that's very much a consequence of modern paved roads and surrounding maintenance; at best, there' be an odd glade or adjacent undergrowth.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • On this board, but as a new post, to differentiate it from this post...

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • In between THIS post and the one you answered about style for thoughts...

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Ah. New quirks of the platform being discovered all the time.

I never look at the groups directly as they are unusable. And for some reason, first posts into groups don't show in the latest listing on the home page, but replies do.

So hacky workaround to get to the post in its own page required.

0 0 0 0 0 0