Comment to 'Hi,I am part way through writing the second book in a series of ...'
  • Hi Pete,

The story sounds younger than 7 to 10 year-old readership to me. As Julie said, I can imagine this as a picture book or perhaps an early reader. Have a look at this site to see where your story fits: https://journeytokidlit.com/age-levels-for-childrens-books/

Do you read any children's fiction in the age range you're aiming for? Definitely worth looking at other books for these readers to see what works commercially, what the genre expectations are, etc.

Although we all want our books to appeal to anyone, any age, it's not a good idea to say this to an agent. They want to see that you understand the sector of the market you're writing for. They'll be impressed if you can show that you understand where your story fits.

Sounds like a lovely premise! Good luck.

Sarah

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Hi Sarah,

Thank you.

The actual dialogue and phraseology lend themselves to a slightly older age group than you might think. The 1st book has been appraised by seasoned educators of my target age group and the response was that it was ideal for helping the children they taught to appreciate and value reading and in particular reading books whilst pushing their vocabulary simultaneously.

Because the stories are in a Scouse dialect the only suggestion that was made was adding a glossary to explain and contextualise the Scouse words and phrases used.

The bit about children from 7 to 97 is a little tongue in cheek and I didn’t imagine anyone would take it literally though we all probably know some adults who never grew up.

I will take a look at the link you shared.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Best Regards 

Peter

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Sarah,

Having quickly read through the link looking at the word count of my book it is perhaps more an early readers piece. It would also be the type of story book that parents might read to their children too which along with the illustrations would make it appealing to a younger though less able reader.

Thank you again. I will read the reference material further.

Best Regards 

Peter

0 0 0 0 0 0