Comment to 'Hi JPK, I've just read your poem on Spillwords 'The stone in the...'
  • I think that’s the wonderful thing about poetry- there are so many possibilities and choices about form, structure, rhythm and all sorts. Your children’s poems were lots of fun to read and I could well imagine them as picture books for children, with the rhythm and rhyme really holding the interest. But there’s room for all sorts of other approaches too, from the strictest of forms to completely unrestrained blank verse. I’m new to dabbling in poetry too and mine is most definitely free verse with no discernible metre or rhyme. That doesn’t mean I don’t pay attention to the sound of the poem- I do- but in a much less rigid manner. It’s the variety in poetry that I’m really coming to enjoy, both as a reader and a writer.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Thank you for reading my post.  Yes, I agree there are really no rules and free verse is fine.  Perhaps I was being a bit finicky but in "Stones" there is a rhyme and I simply found the fifth line difficult to articulate when reading out loud.  Perhaps I'd have to be an actress to make it work.  I might add that I love reading poetry out loud whether it be free verse or rhyming verse, so perhaps I'm a bit more quirky than another person if I can't do it right.  I just hope JPK wasn't hurt by what I said, although I sincerely believe it is better to raise interest than to be ignored. Have a nice day!

0 0 0 0 0 0