Feed Item
Added a post  to  , Members of Jericho Writers

Hi. My name is Anthony. I write commercial fiction. I’m based in Canada. Sometimes I read my writing and consider it to be hideous. Sometimes I read my writing and figure it to be somewhat decent. Either way, my goal is to be published. And that remains my only objective. While it might be alluring to consider fame and fortune, I am not delusional. Should I be able to call myself a published author, I will consider that a success. It would also provide the opportunity to continue writing. But I rolled the dice on this thing. Failure is not an option. Anybody else in the same kind of boat?

Comments
    • I would also like Trad publishing and I’m at the moment sending things to literary agents. No success so far. At the same time I have had beta readers and an edit of my work, and that has resulted in many changes, all to the good. I’ve given myself a goal of 10 agents, and after that I’m going to take another route.

I will look at self publishing the first, while editing the second in the series (already several drafts down) and trying literary agents for that one, while marketing the first. That is my general plan, always subject to diversions.

Good luck in your search.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I'm at a similar place, Georgina. After lots (and I means LOTS!) of edits and some constructive beta reader crits, I have finally begun to submit. We are advised to target those agents interested in your genre - mine is historical fiction as well as commercial and women's fiction. I am finding hard to find the large number of agents that people suggest I should submit to.  I have found about a dozen but some of those are currently closed for submissions. So, if declined by all, I shall think about self-publishing. I just want to see my book(s) out in the world. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi Julia, I, too, found the number of agents for historical fiction limited. One even refused ms over 100k which seems curious for that genre. Maybe someone will be interested in the combination of genres you're offering. Could you pitch so as to emphasize the women's fiction angle and enlargir the field of possible takers?

Have you found beta readers on social media platforms? I have put out requests on 2 FB groups, one of them for Historical fiction and the other, Beta readers & critique partners & have not had a bite. Could you suggest any others? Thanks. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Hi Janet. Actually, I hadn't thought of pitching with an emphasis on women's fiction. I might try that. As for beta readers, I found two on FB - Historical Fiction Beta Readers - they were very helpful. It was a reciprocal arrangement. But I did also find one through Fiverr. That was a paid for reader and wasn't overly expensive - prices varied. They are the only ones I've tried thus far.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Welcome, Anthony. Good luck with your writing.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Adding my welcome to the others Anthony.  I suspect we're all in the same boat as you, either euphoric or down in the dumps but in general just ploughing on.  Keep with it!

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • And don't dismiss self publishing- it does not preclude your going for trad publishers later on.  t least it gets the job done and leaves you to get on with the next project.  Yes, you must then do your own marketing but hey you can do that can't you !

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Welcome, Anthony ! It sounds like you've got a serious case of The Call To Writing. Don't ignore it, whatever you do. It could take years to reach your goal, as with many of us. Best of luck !

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                  Info