Feed Item
Added a post  to  , The Lounge

OCTOBER WRITING GOALS 

Hi all, 

I can't believe that we're in October now - this year has gone so fast! I'd love to know what your writing goals are for this month and how you're progressing so far - are you taking part in NaNoWriMo? If so, how are you finding it? Comment below!

Comments
    • Hi Emily. Not taking part in NaNo as I don't have a project ready to write. But my sub package is about there and ready to go, so I'll be sending some submissions to agents. I did the JW self edit course in the summer, so just finished rewriting my ms in light of what I learned there. A fabulous friends I met through JW is rereading the ms again and when I've worked through her advice, I'll be sending out fulls that have been requested through agent 121s. Then comes the long wait... 

But I have another project that I can finally focus on, so that's exciting. And as my stories all seem to be paranormal, I'll be enjoying the Halloween vibe - October really is my time of year ☺️

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Yeah for paranormal, Lynn. Maybe you'll get lucky and the wait won't be long. It happens, so why not for you? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thanks Robert! Good luck with your books - hope you sell thousands☺️

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • My mantra for October is about holding my nerve:

I'm 45k into a 90k novel. 10 long chapters out of 20.  My protagonist is in deep trouble and I'm about to make it much worse. Dark days. Got to stick at that. 

Most of the time I am convinced no-one will want to read my book, let alone finish it, so must put those thoughts aside. 

Beta readers tell me that by having my young main character angrily say unacceptable things to a black youth, all readers will abandon him. I have to hold on to my belief that they are wrong, and that the changes my MC experiences redeems him and offers something to the reader. 

My novel is set in the messy, unpopular years of the late seventies. But so was Life On Mars so I must hold my nerve. 

The middle of my novel must not be soggy. So far, it's not. I must hang in there. Get it done. Discard that great bulging, no, writhing bag of doubt, and write on. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Hang in there, R.J. Always look on the bright side, and keep the colour in you're writing. For example, you wrote above 'My protagonist is in deep trouble' = try, deep shit! Ha ha ha

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thanks.  Good advice.  i first read it sooo long ago.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Ha ha - I did write deep shit, but decided Jericho was rather proper and deleted it! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • As to October goals. I am indie publishing my first book in the crime series, while still submitting my second to trad pubs. With the first I have been working with two different  types of editor and a wonderful young designer who has produced a range of covers I love. I’m finding the whole thing so exciting. I wake up every morning feeling joyful, quite different from when I was trying to get a literary agent.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • And so says this wood duck. Good for you Georgina. Control your own destiny, write what you love, and the pleasure ahead lies in readers buying your first book and moving onto the second and third. That is what authors crave, reader engagement, and what other professionals think is of no consequence because they don't read your work. The success will be yours alone, and bloody good on ya! I tip my hat to independent thinkers who take destiny into their own hands.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Thanks Robert and a tip of my hat back to you with yours too. I hope you are getting stunning reviews.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • I was probably over ambitious in setting goals. I'm trying to tidy up a screenplay for a TV Pilot and do the final edits of parts 1 and 2 of my trilogy. I'm not sure I can manage NaNoWriMo. From my experience, one needs to be able to devote uninterrupted time. I have builders making a delayed start to major works on the house so I have decided to escape to a retreat in Tuscany/Umbria for as long as possible to clear the current workload. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Jeez, Roger, life's tough for some. No time for NaNoWriMo here either.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • I'm close to pulling the trigger on self-publishing the debut novel in my 'Pyrate' series. The first two manuscripts, 'Pyrate Rising' and 'Pyrate Assassin' were both named Finalists for Page Turner Awards. That generated lots of notice and interest in the Pirate-oriented groups on Facebook. So I'm feeling a little pressure to get to market. I went ahead and had covers designed for the first four novels. I'm doing a final polishing of 'Pyrate Rising' this month, and then I'll focus on my marketing plan, typesetting and publishing strategy. With any luck, maybe I can pull off a launch in time for Christmas. Full sails!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Brilliant, hope it goes well. I’m at the same sort of stage and looking askance at marketing issues! Should be fun.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • If I was you I'd delay a month, Georgina, to see if Reidr and me fall in a heap. If we do, there's a fair chance you'll hear about our mistakes and avoid them. Ha ha. BUT THEN AGAIN, it might go the other way and Reidr and I may buy you a bottle of wine.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Hey Robert, Despite all I've read about self-publishing and marketing, I feel a little unprepared. But I'm okay if things don't go perfectly. I'll learn and be better prepared for the launch of the second novel. Live and learn, right?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                          Info