Feed Item
Added a post  to  , NaNoWriMo 2021

I just read in a NaNo email that only 21% of writers who signed up for it this year got the full 50k words. So for those whose awesomeness was curtailed just a little by life getting in the way - you're by no means alone - in fact, you're in the majority. But all of those 79% achieved something they wouldn't have done otherwise. I'd love to know how many people who *think about* doing NaNo even get around to signing up?

Comments
    • Well, doing NaNo was actually my DD's idea... and she only got 10,000 words written! I was talking to her today though, and she now says she thought of it for ME, as I was spending so much time re-writing the first chapter of another novel I wasn't getting it done. 

So she thought this challenge would get me to finish a first draft, which I can then obsess over at my leisure. 😜 ... seems to be working... I'm now over 47,000 words on the new book, and moving into the final 2-3 chapters!

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • It's great to have friends that push you, sometimes! I reckon that woman deserves a special thank you - from us in the Jericho NaNo community as well as from you. She's inspired you, and you've inspired us.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • For me, doing NaNo, was a chance to prove if I had the tenacity to go for a target and stick to it. I had an idea in my head (which was sparked by the combination of a couple of things). A new bench has recently been installed on the communal ground outside our house, and some years ago while waiting for a train at Retford, a young woman started talking to me about a recent unwanted experience. Even though I’m retired, and so may not have the time constraints that others do, it was still tough at times to find the time to sit and write, especially when a builder is filling the house with dust.

I did the 50K words. According to Grammarly and Pro-Writing Aid, I’ve ended up with “English as she is spoke”. No doubt if Harry Bingham was to review it, he might fall about laughing at the awfulness of it. BUT - I have the kernal of a book that I can hone at my leisure. I know that there are some gaps in the plot. I know I want to change the beginning. I know I want to enhance the characters backgrounds and profiles. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter if you achieved the 50K or not, the exercise on producing words is what really matters to me. You’ll have something that can be taken forward and developed.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Absolutely, Geoff! And you'd probably fall about laughing at one of Harry's first drafts. At least, it certainly wouldn't be the honed and polished version that readers will eventually see. Getting it down is the first part of the process. You know what you want to change, as well, which is more than some people do from first draft. You'll make it!

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • This wasn't my first time doing NaNo and I've managed to finish before. I love the graph & the accountability that helps push me a little bit harder and believe that I can do it. I also love the special offers!

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • It's a long time since I had a real target to aim at and I did think I had lost the ability to hit deadlines and produce work quickly. Nano proved I haven't. It also gave me a small community to do it with and that's what I value about the experience. So thank you all for making it fun. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
            Info