Perfect PLOT TWISTS

Writing great plot twists is hard. This BBC article explains what works and what doesn't with examples from novels and films. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20210323-what-makes-a-perfect-plot-twist-and-a-terrible-one 

How do you write yours? Do you find twists & turns fun to write or do you stress over them?

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (8)
  • Thank you! 🙂

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Thank you for sending the article. Plot twists don't have to be startling.  I personally never write a twist thinking "I need a good twist here".  It's something that should arise naturally from the story, with subtle heralding, otherwise it leaves the reader feeling cheated and gives a rabbit-out-of-a-hat impression, as if the writer was getting him/herself out of a plot problem or the dreaded block.  Ashley Pharoah has the right idea.  

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I rely on my characters. Too much, perhaps )) But! If the plot twist would be "out of character" it won't feel natural. 

PS: thank you for sharing the article! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Good article! Thanks!

I always think that a plot-twist - large or small - should always be obvious in retrospect. That is to say, in the aftermath of the twist the reader should always be able to go back to certain points in the preceding story and see the signs and clues that were there that - in retrospect - would obviously lead to whatever the twist is.

You should never have a twist that isn't foreshadowed in some way.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Merci, Donna good to read! I love and dread them. I feel euphoric when a plot twist comes perfectly together after the signs and clues dropped earlier in the story; fully agree with what Jon said. I dread them too because sometimes I just know the story needs one. I can feel it creeping up on me, showing its then ugly face through the blank pages but the only thing I can come up with, is a lame excuse for a plot. Then I hate them ;)

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thank you for posting. I can't do plots and plot twists, I would love to write a spy novel but don't have the right kind of brain/thinking for it. I have managed to find a few for my books but it's taken a lot of heavy editing and moving stuff around each time. I welcome any help in this area. Thanks again. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Thank you! I've always wanted to twist :-). 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Most novels are said to be omniscient, but a plot twist can be as obvious or mysterious as the writer makes it, but only the reader will be able to enjoy it, I suppose. I like plot twists, but not if they are horrifical, but sometimes that is what is on the plate, a writer may have no option, given the universe.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                  •  · 39 friends