Cover impact

Hello, folks.

Still fiddling. I think I've reach my limit. Time to send off to the graphics girl. She does a great job, but always wants me to give a guide.

With book one finished, book two a month off editing finish, and book 3 well on the way, covers are the number one priority. Would anybody like to offer comments about initial impact. That being, do they hit you in the gob at first look?😁  The attached, bar one, are my fiddlings, yet to go to a graphic artist for refinement. Love to hear from you. I have modified the previous samples.

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=470&dpx=1&t=1623245738

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (22)
    • For me they are all too dark. Of the five I like the fifth (with what looks like an outpouring of lava) the most, possibly because it is lighter and I generally like reds. The one with the oval building is good but it immediately  made me think of the Capitol insurrection. This is just my instant reaction on my way to have a swim.

I’ll have a second look later.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Rob, I like them though I agree with Georgina that they're too dark. Also, in the type face you've chosen I think the G and C are too similar. You don't want it to read as 'When Cods Clash' :-(

Re the titles, I much prefer 'A Voice at Culloden'. It's the most specific and concrete. The juxtaposition of that and the Capitol is also intriguing. For me Aegis and The Heavens are both too vague and don't spark my interest but if they're appropriate for your genre then don't take notice of what I say.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi Rob,

My eye caught colors first too. I liked the cover with more blue and the fifth one.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • All I can see now is clashing cods... An interesting story perhaps, but for your purposes a different font seems necessary!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • 😂

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Angling for readers? I love the Clashing Cods.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • All yours, if you want to write it!

I’m contemplating a poem about sea slugs, but I’ve got nothing in me on cod yet.

PS Apologies Robert for the distracting diversion!

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Well, bugger.😖  The titles on my JW post are as clear as crystal. But I'm not so concerned about that for now as the graphic designer will fix any such issues. My need is to know if they stand out visually, which covers must do.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • For me, they do not stand out. I feel there is need for more color or contrasts.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • I agree, as you might say lighten up Robert! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • I don't mind the darkness so much as the blank black space in covers one and two. Also the symbol that is on all of the covers detracts from the writing, the G in particular, as I think has been already said. But if that symbol is part of your series branding (taken from last night's talk!) then why not feature it more, but away from any writing. Good luck.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Hi, Iren.I based my series title size on one authors series who is being helped by Mark Dawson - the below are from Dawsons website. The series title is large, but so is the sub-title. I note you comments and will fiddle around with some stuff. Since people here earlier talked about my 'cods' 😈 I decided to improve it a little.

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=467&dpx=1&t=1623232659

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • I guess you can't have too much large text when you're featuring a series title along with everything else. I see what you're getting at with Ancient Origins. I like it. Notably, the title stands out a little more than the series title because of the strange font, and the artist had used very luminous colours against the black to good effect. These colours are brighter than your covers, and it works better. I think you need to cut the hazy galaxy look and go for some bolder colours. I believe the central cover works well, even though it contains lot of blank black, because it is balanced -- half luminous, half black, which reflects the title 'Dark Descent' implying descent from light to darkness etc. These covers are striking. I think you're going in the right direction.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Rob, I think the biggest differences between these and yours are (a) the images are completely different between books and almost fill the space - that helps to know you're not buying the same one again (b) the series title and book title are more balanced and always in the same spot - I actually don't like the typeface for these titles and on books 1 and 3 the colours merge a bit, but the placing may be something to think about (c) the colours are more striking. To my taste book 3 is a bit crowded (because the title is longer). 

So if this style is what you're going for, I'd look back at those points and tweak accordingly.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Hi Rob 

I love number two but without the lens flash 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • I read somewhere that men generally prefer dark colours and women lighter ones, so it might depend who your target audience is. For what it's worth my husband liked two, four and five in that order.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • He's a good hubby. Tell him thanks.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • I felt they were all styled fine for the genre - there's some great psychology behind coloru selection in design. ( see https://zevendesign.com/color-association/ )

To my mindm the blue version speaks of coporeal - other worldly activity, the black of dark powers and the red of passion, war, violence .... so based on your blurb I'd go for something that combines all those colours.

I would use less yellow.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Penny, thanks for that web link. Loved the read and red maybe a bigger go for me. Great.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • You've done a great job capturing the Thriller genre.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Hi Rob,

How to choose? My only comment is that the series title is so much larger than the book title. I would reverse that so people don't think they're reading the same book but with a newly released cover. "A Voice at Culloden" is more appealing to me than "When Gods Clash". When quickly glancing across your post, I thought they were all the same book. 

Typeface comments by others seem legit. Is 'clash' the word you want to use?

You're close, but tweak it to be fabulous!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                  •  · 49 friends