I write like...?

Thought people might be amused by this website. You can upload a piece of your writing for analysis (it says it's not stored) and it will tell you - based on word choice and writing style, apparently - which well-known writer you 'write like'. 

https://iwl.me/

Just for fun, I uploaded three separate short extracts and got:

1. Anne Rice (I'll take that!)

2. Arthur C. Clarke (also that!)

and

3. Agatha Christie (hmmm...)

Perhaps I need to work on my consistency!  But at least they all start with the letter 'A'. So there's that. 😂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (41)
    • Just to test it I unashamedly typed an AA Milne quote in (with lots of tiddly poms) and it told me I write like George Orwell!

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • “Oh, bother.”

You see. There's a Winnie the Pooh quote for Every. Single. Situation.

😆 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I adore the wisdom of Pooh and Piglet. I was horrified that my children’s friends thought they were American characters invented by Disney! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • I love those, Jon. As an aside and not in the same vein. Words which have stuck with me forever come from Keith Miller. He was a member of Bradman's Invincible cricket team. He was also a Spitfire pilot who fought in the Battle of Britain. He said in a TV interview in answer to a question about whether he was nervous facing the fast bowlers. He replied, 'NERVOUS! You don't know nervous until you've had a Messerschmitt up you're ass at 500 yards.'😁 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • I tried. And I also got Anne Rice, of whom I am sadly ignorant but the analysis said she was known for “metaphysical gothic fiction, Christian literature and erotica”. None of which seems like a good match for my WIP...

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • He's as wise as Pooh

Not possible! 😄  

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • I'm sticking to my guns 😄 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Three excerpts fed into the thing, all three matched me with Ms Rice. I clearly need to acquaint myself with my writer alter-ego.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • This is a hoot! I tried two wildly differently-voiced excerpts from my MS. Both came back Agatha Christie -- Hmmmm, odd --  Gonna try again, see if my writing is (really) that homogeneous. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • OK, this time it came back Anne Rice. Whew, lol.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Hmmm. The prevalence of Ms. Rice within such a small data sample seems to indicate a less-than-comprehensive database of writers for the algorithm to call on when making its comparisons! 😄 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • I would have loved if it had come back something like M.J Engh (Wheel of the Winds,- An epic of planetary circumnavigation.)  <sigh>  Well, I can still strive to aim high, lol.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Sounds like it's got a list of half a dozen authors for you to sound like and picks a few at random.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • I expect if you gave it the same sample 3 times it would give you 3 different answers. Just hope people don’t take it too seriously - agents will be flooded with queries saying “My work combines the styles of Anne Rice and Agatha Christie”! 😂

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Ha, that may already be happening!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • I got Vladimir Nabokov.....I don't know what to say......

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Having not long since read his 'Pale Fire', which is an astonishing work of absolute genius, if I'd have got him I'd have said 'Woo!'. Also 'Hoo!'. And probably pumped the air with my fist a bit, too. 🙂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • All I know is 'Lolita'. Guess I'll have to brush up on my Nabokov! Reading 'The Gold Coast' by Nelson DeMille right now. His characterization is spot on.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • I got James Joyce. No comment.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • I put in one extract from my draft novel and got Jane Austen. Some people may know I struggle with Jane Austen. Not all of it, but most. This is obviously my comeuppance :-) I'm starting to worry about my subconscious.

My next paragraph had a quote from Shakespeare. A little test. Would it tell me I write like Shakespeare? We're all allowed ambitions ...

No, it said Lewis Carroll. I can see a connection between him and WS but between him and me? 

Anyhow, two more classic authors. The selection is growing.I can see hours of fun ahead. I might be compelled to keep feeding the site bits of my prose, however off-kilter its encouragement may be!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • I figured I would feed it a chapter. It came back as Anne Rice. So, I cut the chapter in halves. The first came back as Dan Brown, the second as Rice again. Repeating with the second half, it split into Brown and James Joyce.

So… what the?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Thanks Rick! Trying to picture the result of combining the styles of Dan Brown and James Joyce has shut down my cognitive faculties for the day. I'm not going to be able to do anything now until my brain reboots! 😂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • At least you have 101 words to anchor you.

(As to Brown having any style, that's open for debate.)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • 1. James Joyce

2. Agatha Christie

That's it - I'll pitch myself as 'James Joyce for teens' - I'll have agents queueing up! ;-)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • Perfect! 😂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • I got Jane Austen; however, I have delighted you for long enough.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Well, okay I'm thinking about trying it but I'm afraid of what I'll do if it comes back "Dr. Seuss"!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • HA ha!  The first selection of book one, chapter one came back as "Stephen King" and the other selection from later in the same chapter was "James Joyce".  At least my mysteries aren't  "Franklin W. Dixon".

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • Oh, this is fun. First chapter of a WIP - Anne Rice. Second piece was war time flash fiction - Stephen King. I could be busy this evening...

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                              • Great fun! I got JK Rowling -- quite pleased about that!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Now I've got HG Wells on a different part of my novel. If I can truly be a combination of both, I'll be happy!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • What a hoot. I got Stephen King quite pleased as that was one bit of the novel I sent in that I'd had trouble with. Maybe the time I took was worth it!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • So if you throw a bunch of different snippets at this algorithm, it gives wildly divergent results between one type of scene and the next, but within a given type, it was 100% consistent. I'm pretty sure this says more about the algorithm than about my writing... 

Type of Scene / # of results / Author Match

Character introductions, scene-setting / x3 / Ernst Hemmingway 

Dialogue-driven /x3 / Agatha Christi

Action, heightened tension / x2 / Arthur C. Clark

Internal character narrative / x2 / Chuck Palahniuk (Author of Fight Club, Choke)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    • I got Stephen King which is hilarious as I put in an extract of the new children's/middle grade story I'm writing.
                                                      I certainly hope mine has a better ending than some of his stories!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                      • I tried it with three different extracts from works written years apart. Results: 1) Dan Brown (older story); 2) Anne Rice (four years ago); 3) David Foster Wallace (last year). I don't know what to make of it but the software has a mother's heart and some forgetful dementia.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                        • As Vin says, it seems to go for type. I think it may even go a level of detail lower than that and pick out physical content. I've had C Palahniuk too, for a piece that included an air-raid siren, other urban and domestic sounds and mention of a street. See the first page of his novel The Invention of Sound, Palahniuk . And yes, an internal narrator.

An internal narrator with two young women having a conversation in a sitting room brought me Jane Austen. Same internal narrator but this time on her own with a poem: Lewis Carroll.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                          Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                                          •  · 62 friends