Updated covers

Hi, friendly folks. Below are my updated covers. They have been drastically changed to take account of several comments on here. The most important I thought was Jon's comment about the current trends. I took action to address that and now the covers are abstract, mostly. I've also added color and drama to them giving the impression of action and thrills. I focused them at younger readers. When last posted, there were comments about the metalic style of type; for now I've decided to perservere with it, though it might change on next draft.

Do you think they are better? Capture the drama and goddish aspects? Any suggestions apart from the metalic type. NOTE: The spooky face on the right of the 2nd book will be more visible on the next draft, as will the soldier on the third which will be replaced with a more greek image, or even my protagonist, Angus (thoughts on a modern man or ancient, please).

I await any replies from such an esteemed group of literary critics. 😎 

As an aside, you reckon developing a web site isn't a pain in the ass. I'm at my wits end and on the verge of cussing (a lie. Cussed over and over and now reaching for the red wine.)

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=494&dpx=1&t=1625389987

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (20)
    • Hi Rob,

I love these covers! Much much better. 🙂

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Obviously, I’m not a younger reader but that are exciting. I like the flash of lightning. Wonderful.

Which website package are you using? I use Wordpress, with a name from GoDaddy and I’m finding it surprisingly easy. There are excellent step by step guides on Google. I rather enjoyed it although my friends say it is too bright! Colourful that is. If you want to test your sunglasses it is www.Ginacheyne.com. I’m writing under my husband’s surname as it’s shorter and easier to remember than mine.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • They definitely stand out (not that I'm much of a judge of covers).

A few details that may or may not be relevant.

The styling of your name is inconsistent. I prefer the font and yellow of #1, though the size feels wrong (too large). Also, the specific yellow doesn't quite match the other lettering (this may be because of the metalic effect elsewhere).

I see what you're doing with the pendant and the book numbers, but I don't beleive said numbers are required. Indeed, many may not even notice them. As such, the straightness of the pendant placement feels slightly contrived. (That it hooks the C in voice is a nice touch., though) 

The presence of the moon (#1) and sun (#3) somewhat hide the "when" in the series title (contrast issue).

The Poseidon shadow on #1 feels like a cardboard cutout, this probably because it's been skewed. I assume it's due an upgrade per the sppoky face on #2.

Overall, the Aegis cover, with its star/planet as the dominant feature, suggests more SF than the myth/drama I believe you're aiming for.

For #3, I'd be inclined to keep the figure as having ancient accoutrements; it reinforces the mythelogical theming.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thanks, Rick. The pendant and the book numbers are small, but they are underconsideration. Same with the moon and the 'When'. The second cover is actually a raging sun. But I catch you meaning. The name stylings are variations still under consideration. My main and important purpose of the post was to check the series theme is clear. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thanks, Georgina. I had a look, put on my sunglasses.😈 Bluehost I'm using = Wordpress. Mine is too complicated, so I'm getting help. I'll have it up late next week.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Hi Robert. 

As a nearly there these are looking good. I would agree with Rick Yagodich comments in the main, re. Moon/Sun word cover issues, and the Aegis cover looking more SF (though I do love this one - perhaps the best). 

I would personally prefer your name in lower case as it stands out more. Our brain looks for word shape and apparently you are more likely to become more recognised if people can learn to recognise your name shape - at least that is what is taught regarding conference speaking etc. And personally I just think it looks better and contrasts with the ALL CAPS otherwise. The cooler blue/grey stands out as a contrast to your title chosen colour palette.

I also do find volume numbers helpful for read order - especially on Kindle - though you can obviously build in X of Y into your online blurb. 

Overall I think these are definitely going in the right direction, and have impact.

Hope that helps

Bex

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • It does help, Bex. Thank you for the comments.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • You’re working so hard on these, and I have every confidence that you’re going to end up with something that you’re really proud of.

Out of interest, are you set on having the series title centred? It was one of the things you asked for opinions on last time, and I think there was a fairly strong consensus that having it centred caused confusion with the book title. But maybe you have a good reason for choosing this layout.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Yes, Catherine. Balance. With so many different designs, the right side bordering created too many issues. I still want it, liked it, but couldn't make it work for the set.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • They certainly look exciting. Have you done the artwork yourself? I missed the first ones you posted with me not being a regular internetter. (Definitely not a cromulent word)

I agree with Rick regarding the font for your name on book 1 looking the best. I am 43 though. Not exactly in your target age bracket.

I think that once you've tweaked them to your liking, they'll look very professional and appealing to any fantasy reader of any age.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Thanks, Baz. Aged 43 is still a target market for me. Shit, everybody is, that's part of the balance for overall appeal. But the other ones were too focused against young folk. I've got a leg in the grave, 😁 but I love them. Perhaps I'm just kool, 😎 Not sure. Take it with a grain of salt, folks, laughter is the best medicine. And beer, of course.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • These have gone up to a whole new level. I think they work well. Mind you, I'm not your target audience but they're eye catching and exciting. 

I can't comment on details. I'm leaving that to Rick and Bex 🙂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • A great improvement, Robert, I think.

Another vote with Rick on the font for the author name. Also, like Rick, I like the little detail of the pendant attached to a letter in the book title. I think the number is either slightly too large or, as Rick says, not required at all on the front... you can always have a 'Book one' legend on the title page, or mention it on the back cover.

I know you said don't comment on the metallic text, but I'm going to anyway... 'coz I'm awkward like that. 😜 The metallic effect makes the text blend into the background image too much. A good design rule is always overlay complexity with simplicity and vice versa. You have a complex background here, so the text needs to be treated as simply as possible in order to contast with it. Honestly, a flat colour (with at most a slight edge shadow to pop it out from the background where the tone is similar) is all you need, and will improve the designs still further.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Okay. But what of the appeal of the series set? Forgetting the type face style which I am onto..

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Yes, I think they work well as a series now. The images are in line with what you've described as the main setting of each book, and they're all tied together into a coherent 'set' by the common image of the lightning ball (and the pendant) as well as the overall composition of the design. And they certainly don't lack drama!

I know from your past comments that you're planning on 'supernatural thriller' as your primary genre. It's not a genre that I'm hugely familiar with, so you're probably a better judge of their appeal to that readership than I am!

In all honesty, if you were to put these in front of me as designs, with absolutely no context, and ask me to place them in a genre from the design and imagery alone, I would almost certainly say that the second and third were SF. I'd be less sure about the first, but might plump for 'political thriller' (though the trident would make me waver slightly, as would my own knowledge of what 'Culloden' refers to).

But that's one person! And it might be that's good anyway, since they'll stand out among other perhaps more conventionally 'spooky' covers of the genre you've chosen, and thereby spark more interest as well as having cross-genre appeal!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Thanks again, Jon. Will look at the Sci-fi aspect. The third book becomes rather spacey, but not the second book until the end. Anyway, WIP so I'll keep at it. Onto setting up the web page now. It never ends.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • These look good! Others have already voiced any comments I might add. My preference for your name is the first one.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Yes I agree with CBeale, your name in yellow and caps are my preference. Being picky, I liked the pendant hooking onto the C in the first book, but it felt more contrived in the second and third. Weirdly, I kept thinking it would slip of the letter. I only noticed the numbering in the pendant after my third look. 

I agree with Jon on the first book image making it look more political thriller (even with the trident), what about working up something from Culloden?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • These are just so much better! I would pick these up, whereas I probably wouldn't have with the previous lot. I'm not sure the pendant needs to hook in, it looks great with your name. I do sort of like it hooked in, but not quite sure. Just an idea, you might want to differentiate the colours between books two and three a little more. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • I agree with the others about the color and font of the name, but honestly, they really catch my eye. Well done.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                    •  · 49 friends