Jericho Writers Book Club

Hi everyone! 

We are so thrilled to announce the Jericho Writers Book Club, which will be the brand-new book club based here in the community. In order to join for free, you just need to be part of Townhouse (you're halfway there if you're reading this!), and request to join the Jericho Writers Book Club group to find out more - https://community.jerichowriters.com/page/view-group-profile?id=68 . I will be hosting the meetings and we'll be reading a new book on the first Monday of every month! This will be an exciting opportunity to meet other readers, access discounted books and put forward your questions for the author throughout the month! Any questions, please don't hesitate to message me or email community@jerichowriters.com.

Really looking forward to getting to know some of you more in the group!

Emily x

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (15)
    • A great initiative. I don't know whether I'll manage to read a book a month in late summer and autumn, but I'd like to try. Could I request membership on that basis???

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Of course! There's always the option to attend, even if you haven't managed to read/finish the book, just to listen to what the author has to say about their writing process and listen to them answering questions. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Good news. Yes, connecting with the authors alone is great plus. Thank you, Emily.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Sounds like a great idea. Just a little question: Will there be replays if we miss one? The first Monday every month might be a difficult time in some months. Thanks.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Hi Georgina, yes I will be recording every meeting! We will hope to make some audio content from the meetings at some point too :) 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • What genres of book will be chosen?  I like the idea of this but feel I'll rule myself out of most of the books by being an old bag with a dislike of 4-letter worded novels and those written in the present tense.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Hi Blakeney, I do understand your point. I'm also very picky and sometimes struggle to finish some of the so called "bestsellers". However... it's always interesting to see what others have to say but I may have to keep my comments to myself, if the author is going to be around... LOL

I'm prepared to give any novel a go, even if I don't progress much further than the 1st chapter. It's important to read work outside our prefered genres.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Yes, it's interesting to know what others think and it could also be fascinating to have the author's answers to questions. 

Don't be afraid to express your opinions if the author is present!  You are entitled to them and, who knows, you might bring out something that hasn't even occurred to that person and you don't have to be offensive about it.  (I'm sure you wouldn't be).  Anyway, it will probably be possible just to eavesdrop.

I've decided to give it a whirl.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Hi Blakeney, D. M. Costa and Rick Yagodich. Without giving anything away before our first author reveal (which will be in the group!), I will be choosing the books every month, with a focus on debut authors but not limited to that. I'll be putting up a poll in the group for genres so that the meetings are varied (I run my own book club where I do the same)! This is a new initiative where we'll be reading novels as opposed to the previous book club with writing-based books, as I felt that they were more self-explanatory and there would be more to discuss if we did meetings based on novels. 

I hope that answers some of your questions! If you would like to join the group anyway just to find out more (even if you then decide you don't want to attend), then that's also fine!

Emily x 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • I would ask the question in a different way: is this a replacement for the old attempt at a book club, focusing of craft, or is it novels. Also, who's picking what is to be read?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • I've just joined the JW Book Club, even though I've got 2 full manuscripts to beta-read and give feedback (sorry folks... too many distractions!) and I've also promised to be a writing buddy to someone who's starting out. And then there's the small issue that it's finally summer here in France and there are so, so many places I've never been.

Yesterday we went to the Vallée de la Mauldre. The day before to the Vexin. Wednesday evening is walk & talk along the Seine towpath, and Friday is "apero" (drinks & tapas) by a lake painted by the impressionists. I blame the lockdow effect...

By the looks of it, it'll be midwinter before I do any serious reading  😎 🌍  

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=516&dpx=1&t=1626700117image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=517&dpx=1&t=1626700205

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Looks beautiful!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Ahhh, how lovely!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Hi Emily, I'd love to join the next book club meeting. Best, Josh

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Hi Josh, glad to hear! Have you requested the group? :) 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.