Should I chase up an agent or is it rude?

Hi All, 

I submitted my 10,000 words to lots of agents this summer. One came back within a couple of weeks and asked for the whole thing. That was about five weeks ago. I haven't heard from him since...

I guess he didn't like it after all - but is it rude to email him to check that? What's the etiquette in this situation? 

Thanks! Liz J

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (7)
    • HI Liz

It's not rude, and well done for getting someone to request a full, quite an achievement. It's been a busy time of year - summer hols etc, I'd wait to the end of the month then drop him/her a polite email wondering what they thought of your manuscript. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Thanks Danny, much appreciated, I’ll do that - and thanks for the encouragement!

Liz J

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Seconding what Danny's said - not rude at all, definitely chase! Agents can be a nightmare with stuff like this unfortunately so you do have to keep on top of them. Good luck! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Definitely chase them. Congratulations for getting a full request in the first place!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thanks so much for responding - that’s been really encouraging, Lx

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Hey Liz, I've not been on here for a wee while and saw your post. Congrats on getting that request. Did you hear anything back? I had two responses for full MS a few years ago. One responded quickly, the other never got back to me at all, although I did politely ask eventually!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Congrats on getting full requests! I'm in a bit of a quandary myself. I've had three - one has written back saying they are moving agency but would like to find out what I have in mind for my next idea, once she's in her new job (confused about what that means for my current manuscript), another has had it for three weeks and one for eight weeks (but have not heard a peep since). Having seen the comments, I'll write back and just give a gentle nudge so thank you for asking the question. Good luck with yours!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                  •  · 0 friends