Hello!

Hello everyone, Just dropping in to say Hi! Just joined the community and looking forward to sharing thoughts, views and experiences of all things writing and publishing.

Neil.

1 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (7)
    • Hello Neil, welcome to the community. Historical mystery/crime is my poison. Hoping to finish another (and final) edit, then find someone to build a website for me, then publish. Then hope that the world will notice !

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Neil! Welcome to the community 😊  

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • By way of background, I`ve recently completed a novel (legal thriller). It`s the second novel I have completed. The first was way back when computers and emails were still just a twinkle in the eye of Mr Berners-Lee. After just three rejections I stuffed it in a box beneath my desk where it still lies. The current novel has been 15 years in the making for a variety of reasons but mainly work! I`ve spent the last two years working on it with a former Random House editor in New York. I`ve been a freelance writer since about 1995 and also taught CW for Uni and colleges and run community based CW programms for Arts Council England. Despite all of which, I suffer from all the same thoughts of inadequacy and self doubt as most other writers. I`m considering the various forms of publishing as its abundantly clear to me that the traditional route is very difficult to break into unless you have a "name". Not prepared to let that stop me from publishing.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Congratulations on completing your legal thriller! 

A “name” is only really useful for non-fiction, especially for things like lifestyle or cookbooks or in fiction children’s books. General fiction is difficult because it’s a numbers game, agents receive thousands of submissions a year but only sign a handful of people and then publishers only take on a few debuts from agents each year. But it can happen to anybody with a lot of hard work/perseverance and a little bit of luck (landing in the right inbox at the right time) so why not you.

Good luck! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thank you! I am and will submit to traditional channels as that`s my preference but having been in and around the publishing scene for some time I`m not under any illusions. I`d be a lot happier if I could time that inbox submission accurately! Thanks again and many congrats on your own recent publication.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Thank you! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Hi Neil, welcome and thanks for sharing your experience. I write historical thrillers (1 unpublished, 1 wip) but my working life was spent as a teacher of classical ballet. In my experience, some of the best performers think they’re awful so don’t let your own self appraisal be your dominant guide. The primary reason is that they know a great deal about faults and what perfection should look like. So keep working and people on here will all be wishing you well and cheering you on. All the best, Angela

0 0 0 0 0 0
                Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                •  · 0 friends