Rejection

I know this sounds weird but I am encouraged by a rejection I had from Skylark. I thought I’d post for you to see!

Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for sending us ARCHIE, FELIX AND THE CHEATING WITCH for consideration. Your submission caught my eye so I read it straight away.

I enjoyed ARCHIE, FELIX AND THE CHEATING WITCH. It was an interesting concept. However, I’m afraid I didn’t quite love this enough to take it further. Obviously this is a very subjective view, as we all know reading is a subjective business and another agent may well feel differently. It’s so important that your agent feels passionately about your work in order to represent you to the best of their abilities.

I know it can be helpful to have feedback. I’m afraid I’m not able to give detailed insights, but rest assured that if anything really stands out to me while I’m reading then I do pass that feedback on, so the fact that I haven’t mentioned anything specific on this occasion shows that there was no particular element I felt I could usefully comment on – I simply didn’t connect with the story quite as strongly as I would wish. 

I’m sorry to write with disappointing news, Debbie. I do wish you all the best for the future. Thanks again for thinking of Skylark Literary.

With all best wishes,

Joanna

Joanna Moult

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (8)
    • Hi Deb

I had the same email from them!

Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for sending us FLOYD’S LONG JOURNEY HOME for consideration. Your submission caught my eye so I read it straight away.

I enjoyed FLOYD’S LONG JOURNEY HOME. It was an interesting concept. However, I’m afraid I didn’t quite love this enough to take it further. Obviously this is a very subjective view, as we all know reading is a subjective business and another agent may well feel differently. It’s so important that your agent feels passionately about your work in order to represent you to the best of their abilities.

I know it can be helpful to have feedback. I’m afraid I’m not able to give detailed insights, but rest assured that if anything really stands out to me while I’m reading then I do pass that feedback on, so the fact that I haven’t mentioned anything specific on this occasion shows that there was no particular element I felt I could usefully comment on – I simply didn’t connect with the story quite as strongly as I would wish. If you are looking for additional support, advice or discussion with regard to your work, then I would thoroughly recommend that you look into joining the SCBWI British Isles – they are hugely supportive of writers at all stages, from first efforts through to publication and beyond. They have local critique groups where you can share your work with others and garner feedback, and there are lots of events, conferences and resources to help you learn more about the common pitfalls when writing for young people. They are a lovely gang, too! 

I’m sorry to write with disappointing news, Dave. I do wish you all the best for the future. Thanks again for thinking of Skylark Literary.

With all best wishes,

Joanna

Joanna Moult

Director

We'll just have to keep on trying (although I am having a conversation with Silverwood Books about self-publishing - costs etc - so it'll be interesting to see what they come back with.

PS. I'll try and read chapter one of Tommy Bee on the weekend. It's been manic on the workfront this week!

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Thanks Dave. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • PPS

Forgot to say, I've ordered Milly, Molly and Fat Cat for my great niece for xmas. Got to support each other!

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • David that is so kind of you. It was my first foray into publishing! Let me know when you’re books are out and I’ll order. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Hi David and Debbie, i will happily buy your books and then you will have international sales!! Good that you are persevering in trying to get published - it is a hard line to tread between hope and disappointment.  I am veering in the direction of self-publishing more and more simply because I don't have to go through all the commotion!  The main job is the writing and you are both plugging away at it.  Voila!

cheers from the soggy west coast of Canada

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Hi Lorraine thanks for the encouragement. Keep going I want to buy your books too.x

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • It's unusual for an agent to take that amount of trouble so both of you should feel very encouraged.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Thanks Danny. That’s encouraging just what I need on a soggy Friday! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
              •  · 24 friends