one to one

Just had a great one to one. very encouraging, just what I needed. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (13)
    • Brilliant, Debbie! Details please ☺️

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Lynn . Feedback was very good, I was complimented on my one page synopsis! A few suggestions made to enhance the story but overall she really liked it and said with tweaks to submit to her in the new year. I asked directly if she liked it and it was definitely a yes. so feeling very good tonight! She suggested the new year would be a better time to submit due to backlogs and agents start the new year with more enthusiasm! I spoke of self publishing to her and she said that it would be a possible route, but warned if sales aren’t good it may be difficult to then get an agent afterwards.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • This is fantastic news Debbie! Having a positive 121 really gives you a boost, especially when they ask to see more. Really pleased for you.

I have to say I've heard the same about low self pub sales. It may be a narrow minded attitude, it may be outdated, but sadly it certainly seems at least some agents have this attitude.

Great stuff

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi Debbie. Go with the agent - I’m thinking of doing a 121 sometime in the late spring- very nervous about doing it but think it’s perhaps worth a shot. Book two is very different from book one, much more commercial so hoping I’ll have more luck agent wise.  Best of luck with your edits before you send out 😀😀

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • So good to get positive feedback - well done on that! 

I'm sure the agent was right in saying that low self-publishing sales might put off an agent when you submit a subsequent novel. But what that says to me is: 

(a) Harry's blog this week, saying that agents are driven by the commercial potential of the submitted manuscript, is not wholly correct - high or low sales of a self-published book has no bearing on the quality of the author's next work; and

(b) She implies that agents don't recognise the reality of self-publishing, that sales have far more to do with the quantity and quality of your marketing than the book itself. A great novel unmarketed will be lost; a poor novel marketed to the max will do well.

It's a bit of a Catch-22: if you have the writing and marketing skills to self-publish successfully, you might decide you don't need an agent because you'll do better financially as a self-publisher than you would with a mainstream publisher. (If you do really well, you might find publishers coming to you!) If you don't do well on your own, you've possibly made the mainstream route harder.

That's not to dismiss the advantages of having an agent beyond access to publishers: foreign rights, film rights, commissions, contacts with mainstream media, events etc...

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • I have heard others say that low self pub sales can put agents off. And you're right, a lot is reliant on marketing but there still might be a shadow in the back of their minds about you. Doesn't mean they're right, of course

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • I’ve heard the same. However, a good manuscript, written  with help, will shine through the slush pile despite poor sales on Kindle.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • This is wonderful news Debbie, well done. Congratulations.

On the self publishing side I would say do it only if you think it is fun. Personally, I do. I have that slightly tiresome personality that replies ‘says you’ when told I can’t do something. So I enjoy proving people wrong. But not everyone is like that, and if you aren’t I would avoid self publishing. There are a lot of hurdles, although they are much easier to overcome than you think. But it does all take time and that may be an issue for you.

Either way. Very well done. I look forward to reading your published book.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • This is great news Debbie Etherington, and good to have a straight path forward. I love it when you know the next small step (for you it's make the tweaks) and then the next (resubmit)... They all add up over time. Congratulations and best wishes to you!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Thanks so much Sarah.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Great news, Debbie! 👏👏👏

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • This is great news Debbie 👏 

I too had a positive 121. It really does give you a boost doesn't it?

Well done and good luck with it all.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Hi all, I'm new to the forum and read all your comments with great interest. I followed the 1-2-1 path and found it hugely beneficial. I had an initial chat, took the comments on board and edited accordingly, then had a second 1-2-1 with the same agent to review the changes to the manuscript and also the query letter. Although my book wasn't taken on by that agent, the positive comments received were a big boost to my confidence. Heartily recommended.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                        •  · 24 friends