Competition win - any advice on how to make the most of the opportunity.

Hi folks

I have won a decent novel writing competition which gives me a weekend described as a dragons den with publishers and agents.

the weekend is in Dublin, Ireland but publishers and agents come from the UK as well as Ireland.

Tremendously excited obviously but also nervous. What advice can others who have been in a similar position give me?

The competition is the Irish Writers Centre Novel Fair 2022. Details in the link Here.

https://irishwriterscentre.ie/12-emerging-writers-selected-as-the-winners-of-novel-fair-2022/

Appreciate all thoughts and support.

Ps…all those online learning workshops and events with Jericho Writers have helped me greatly make it this far.

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (11)
    • No advice to give, I'm afraid, other than just a general 'network like hell'. But huge congratulations on your win. Well done! 👏 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I am not familiar with Dragon's Den (I'm aware of the principle, though), nor this competition. However, I'd take a wild guess and say that you need to have your pitch down tight, The one sentence version. The one paragraph version.

Also, research all the publishers and agents who are going to be there. Understand what theya re looking for, their specific interests. Plan every detail of how you'll interact with all those of interest,

And, somewhere in all that frenetic activity, rembeber to breathe.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Good advice, thanks.

Working on pitch versions but yes, specifically researching each of the publishers and agents, a big task but good to do. If I can get a sense of what they look for, perhaps can tailor the pitch per agent.

a lot of work to prepare to make the most of this great opportunity.

oh yes, lol, and remember to breathe. I must remember to do that.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Congratulations, this is very exciting!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Congratulations, Mike!

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Well done, Mike, All the above is good advice. I'd add, see if there are any writers represented by the agents that you like and/or whose work is comparable to yours. That's a point to make during your interactions with the appropriate ones, subtle but nice and clear.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Excellent point. Will definitely try to do this. Thanks

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Find out what they drink and buy them lots of their favourite stuff. I find smoozing at the bar works best! 😂🤪

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Lol, perhaps. Myself, I don't drink and due to covid bars are under restrictions in Ireland. Schmoozing all has to be done in the actual meeting. Perhaps I could bring home made butterfly cakes.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Sorry, Mikeyboy, you're screwed if you don't drink. 😎 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Congratulations! I've never been there but, I'd say it's important that your enthusiasm for your book and an upbeat nature need to shine through. People prefer to work wth those who have energy and are both engaging and committed. Best of luck.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                        •  · 1 friends