Chicken House Books likes my novel!

Four months ago, I entered the Chicken House Books mentoring competition and I've just been informed that I'm one of 20 finalists out of over 800 submissions! They'll choose only one of us to mentor and publish, but I'm thrilled beyond words to be a finalist!

I'm sure I wouldn't have made it this far without all my Townhouse friends. There are so many of you that helped improve my writing, thank you so much... you know who you are! (I'm excited but also a little anxious because I want this sooo badly, please cross your fingers for me!)

3 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (58)
    • Wow how fabulous, Julie, well done. I hope you win. That is absolutely great. Go girl! 🤸‍♂️

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Go Julie.

I always knew you were destined for greatness.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Aww, thanks Rick.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Whoop whoop! How could they possibly not like it? It’s about a chicken! Seriously really chuffed for you. You deserve this.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thanks Kate!

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Congratulations ❤ 🎊  So happy for you x

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Brilliant news Julie. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Congratulations Julie that’s great news! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Thanks. It's a huge confidence boost, even if it comes to nothing.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • And since it's a confidence boost, there's no way it will come to nothing.😀 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Well done, Julie. Whatever comes of this, it’s a great endorsement and tells you that you’re heading in the right direction! Exciting times and I really hope they pick you👍🏼🍺

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Julie, this is huge! So well done. Fingers crossed for you. But even if you don't get picked, you can go forwards now with renewed confidence. Brilliant🥂🎉🎊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Thanks, Lynn. I can hardly believe it, I mean it's Chicken House!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Absolutely! The competition is so big and they're really well respected. So chuffed for you. Richly deserved x

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • That’s amazing Julie. Well done.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Thanks Debbie!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • SO deserved! 😍 Fingers and toes are crossed! x

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Brilliant! Well done!! 😁

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Consider them crossed, Julie, and my legs too. Such great news, good luck.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Thank you!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Congratulations Julie! That must be one helluva feeling! So pleased for you 🐱‍🏍🤞

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • It is, but the wait is going to be nerve wracking! How long do you think it will take them to read 20 fulls and come to a decision?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Crikey, no idea! But to be honest, even to be in the running is such an endorsement of your work, and it's something we would all be proud to be able to say. Good luck Julie 🙏

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Congratulations Julie! x

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Thanks Emily!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Outstanding Julie! I'm thrilled for you. Time to publish!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • Thanks, Reidr!🤞

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • This is brilliant news! All fingers are crossed that you'll be picked. 

Even if you're not, being shortlisted is marvellous and something you can tell agents and publishers in submission letters.

A great start to the year.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Thanks Libby. I love your  "a great start.." I'm going to try to keep that in mind during the long wait for the final decision.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • Oh, the ghastly business of waiting ... 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • Delighted for you Julie, well worthy! And to help celebrate your special announcement, well, here's my chicken house in your honour.....image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=669&dpx=2&t=1643314691

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                              • LoL ! Thanks, Neil.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                              • Brilliant! that's almost the top 2%, which is phenomenal

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Thanks, Glyn!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Wow, this is huge, Julie. Congratulations. You'll have an untold amount of crossed fingers for you here. What a confidence boost.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • Thanks, Jimmy!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • That's great news, Julie. We are rooting for you (or should that be roosting?😅).

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    • Lol! Thanks!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                      • Julie, that's just fantastic, I'm very happy for you. Don't think about how long it's going to take them to read the 20 selections, just keep writing. With that vote of confidence and the Jericho chorus roosting for you, who knows what you'll come up with. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                        • Hello Townhouse friends. Just a quick update. I got the ax yesterday from Chicken House. I know it was a long shot and I tried not to get my hopes up, but even so, I'm so disappointed. 🙁 But just re-reading all these encouraging remarks cheers me up! Thank you❤️

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                          • 😘😍

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                            • So sorry to hear that Julie. But what an achievement to get so far! Definitely one for the CV and a name to drop when subbing - it's such a week known comp. Your should be so proud of yourself and your book for this xxx

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                              • Of course you're right, Lynn. Thanks!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                              • I'm sorry to hear that, Julie, but it wasn't an ax, and I agree 100% with Georgina.  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                • Thanks Janet! Thanks to all the support, it no longer feels like an ax, just another bump in the road!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                • Sorry to hear you didn't get picked for mentoring, Julie, but please don't let it put you off. The cure for rejection seems to be putting yourself up for more things. Since my last big competition rejection, last autumn, and using what feedback I can get, I've put myself up for several more comps, submitted stuff to agents, sought opportunities to be mentored, all using the same and different work, which I've had to edit and polish to meet new deadlines. I have made myself do this (New Year's resolution) because in the past I let myself focus on lack of success rather than having got as far as I did and nearly gave up writing. 

I've had more rejections of course but they don't sting as much and the feeling dissipates more quickly and seems to reduce every time. And I have learnt a lot in the process. Lick your wounds, then as soon as possible try again. Good luck.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                  • Great suggestions, Maggie. Good luck to you too!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                  • Boooooo to them! 😢 But, as Georgina says, something even better will be along! And Lynn, as always, is right too... to get SO close shows just how brilliant Seed's story, and your writing, is. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                    • Absolutely - it's as Jon and everyone else says. Huge congratulations for getting this far and get ready for further successes 😊 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                      • Thanks, Libby. I'm rooting for you too!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                      • Julie your one of the kindest people I know. And so talented. You have done fabulous to get so far. Try not to be disheartened. I know its hard, I've been there too. But your time will come. I promise. Your getting closer and closer. And remember it's all so subjective xx

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                        • Part of the reason I love to write are the wonderful people I've 'met' and call friends, like you, even though we've never really met. Thanks for being there❤️

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                        • Chicken House, chicken sh*t! They don't deserve you.

The coop seemed the ideal place for Seed's story, but as you know Seed has her sights on other places, far better than a mere coop ;-)

Time to fluff up your feathers and push out your chest (no chicken expert here, but I think that's what they do 😆), remember 2022 is our year and it's only just begun.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                          • Lol! We are taking the bumps in stride and moving on, because that's what writers do!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                          • We are still all proud of you for getting so far. And remember all the most famous writers had any number of rejections under their belt before someone out there recognised how good they were. We all know you are a star. Keep shining 🌟

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                            • Aww, thanks for that, Kate 😊❤️❤️

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                              • Exactly - you're 1 rejection closer to getting published. 🙌 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                              Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                                                              •  · 76 friends
                                                                              24