York Festival of Writing

Hi there! I'm excited to say I have just booked my ticket for the York Festival of Writing in September - anyone coming?

Coming to a festival all on my own and meeting so many people I have never met before is quite scary for me...but my very lovely family insists I should go so I wondered ... who's coming?

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (25)
    • Exciting! Glad to hear I won't be alone! I'll be flying from Savannah, GA to attend. Looking forward to meeting up.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Wow, all the way from USA, great! Looking forward to seeing you there. Are you going to take part in the Friday Night competition?

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I hope so!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I’m coming, also on my own. I’m on my way down from Scotland to Sussex and stopping on the way for the festival. I’m really looking forward to it but like you I think it is quite scary. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Great! 👍 

Do you live in Scotland? And will you be taking part in that competition? I don't think I could. I'm going to have my manuscript edited first ... 

Looking forward to seeing you there!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • You too. No we don't live in Scotland but my husband's family have a place on the Shetland Isles and we go there every year. 

I'm not sure about the competition... I'm still thinking!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • I’m coming too! It will be my first, but I guess a lot of us will be in the same boat. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Indeed, yes. See you there! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Would love to attend, it, but sadly it's financially well out of my reach. Have a great time everyone who is going. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful occasion.  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • I'm going! Can't wait! I thought about it long and hard as I don't have much money and I was worried it was too expensive. In fact I thought so long about it, I missed the early bird deadline by a day so had to pay more! Jericho were very kind when I wrote to them and pleaded for a discount, they gave me a little money back! 

I used to live in York so I'm looking forward to going back, but particularly excited about the festival itself. Am so close to the end of a massive re-write and edit of my first novel after some good feedback from a couple of agents, so am looking on this as the perfect place and time to get it in front of some agents and anyone else I can find!

I'll definitely enter Friday night live, but I'm under no illusion that the chances of getting into the final must be pretty slim! 500 words is such a small amount. It feels almost worth doing a special FNL edit of chapter one abridged just to pack enough of a punch. I'm guessing everyone does that no?

I'll also be on my own! What a lot of nervous writers we will be!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Wait a minute - you are also a playwright?? I used to teach Drama and adapted/translated my fair bit of Shakespeare and Priestley. Used to love directing, too! Long time ago now ... 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Excellent! Yes I've been writing plays for 20 years, it was only during lockdown, when all my theatre work dried up, that I found I had time to start writing the novel I've wanted to write for years...

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • I wish I could - You won't be alone though, before I joined I met a lot of writers who attend. In fact, their enthusiasm encouraged me to join JW. I will be in Yorkshire in July, my summer holiday planning was already done before I knew of JW and the York festival. I do have a strong emotional bond with York university though and it feels like I 'should' go anyway ... however, I live and work on the other side of the channel, so I think I will wait til next year. You will love it and meet so many lovey and inspiring people. Tell me all about it, please ;) Greetings, Anette 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Hi everyone. Can anyone help me? I don't know if any forms have been sent yet for us to sign up to events at York or agent 1-2-1's.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Hey Andrew, can you give us a call or email info@jerichowriters.com who can help?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • I haven't received anything yet, no, so I suppose they are still open for people to sign up. How many people do you think there willl be at the festival?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Hi! Can you give us a call or email info@jerichowriters.com who can help?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Hi Anna, 

No problem, I booked all of my workshops and one-to-ones last n8ght, so all fine.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • I’m attending and looking forward to meeting you all! It will be my first festival. 👍

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • I'll be there. It will be my eleventh York festival. I went to the first one in 2010 and just kept on going. I guess you could call me an addict. Excited to be be back at a live festival for the first time since 2019!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Hi everybody. I went to York in 2019. It was amazing. I learned so much. Question: Is anybody else having trouble signing up for the sessions, etc they want to do? I had the email and used the link but I just seem to go round and round the same screens. I have had a lot of trouble with my login in the past but not sure if it's that again or just me being stupid!! I am not very technically minded.

I am in 2 minds about Friday Night Live. I am writing a memoir so not sure whether that could even be interesting enough to be considered!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Hi Jude, can you give us a call or email info@jerichowriters.com who can help?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • About Friday Night entries  - as I have just had my manuscript assessed and am working on it now to get it ready for submission, can I also use the first 500 words of my next book? I wrote the first chapter some weeks ago and think it would make a good entry. Or does it have to be from a finished manuscript? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • I'm sure Anna will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they insist it has to be from a finished manuscript.  If you enter it, get chosen for the final, then receive loads of agent interest, THEN you have your problem of an unfinished book, but what a WONDERFUL  problem that would be!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Hello! I'll be coming down from Scotland as well, on my own. But via Liverpool for the week before, so I'll be the one who's looking a bit tired and dishevelled 😂 Don't know anyone so will also probably look a bit lost and lonely...

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                        •  · 5 friends