Writing competitions

If you're interested in writing competitions, there's something I've become aware of recently that I haven't seen mentioned on Townhouse. It's a website called www.writeintime.co.uk and you can follow them on twitter @Write_In_Time . They have listings of all kinds of competitions, from poetry and flash fiction to full-length novels with everything in-between. Although they're UK-based, they do list US competitions as well (and possibly from other parts of the world). 

On the subject of twitter, I know it understandably fills a lot of people with horror, but I'm increasingly finding it a very useful and supportive resource that nicely complements what Townhouse does. There's a great writing community out there (just use the hashtag to find them), as well as twitter pitch competitions, agents listing their likes/wants (often with the hashtag ). My twitter timeline is now made up almost exclusively of writers (published and unpublished/unagented), agents, writing consultancies and publishers, and most of what's on it is very positive. So, worth a go if you're interested.

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (10)
  • Thanks for this. I'm always on the lookout for comps.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Hi Alex, I've joined the JW competition group, I have never got anywhere in one but enter 4-5 a year possibly. I really wanted to answer your post as I'm on Twitter and have been for a long while. I am CityWriter @markland_jane if anyone wants to follow me. Most of my timeline is books, but some of my other hobbies too. I find Twitter very useful and inspiring - I will look for you on there and any other JW members too. Thanks for the competition link, I'll definitely follow them. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I've started following you on Twitter.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Jane, just found and followed you on twitter! I'm @alexmoney10 just in case the other nine Alex Moneys are following you too!

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi Alex have followed you back, there is some great writing information and authors on Twitter. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Absolutely! Write Mentor and Write in Time being just two of the things I found on Twitter.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thank you for this Alex! I hadn't thought about writing competitions but will certainly have a look! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • I entered one!!! Sent the whole manuscript of my middle grade children's story in!😲  

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • I entered one!!! Sent the whole manuscript of my middle grade children's story in!😲  

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Good luck! Fingers crossed for you!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                •  · 2 friends