Reporting community errors: please add them here

Hi everyone,

Hopefully the community it working smoothly for you and you're enjoying your time here. A while ago we had some errors with the main notification system which have now been fixed, but I know some people have reported not receiving group notifications. I'm pulling together a list of quirks and potential errors to be looked at by the techies. If you've noticed a glitch or have an issue, please let me know here so I can put as many on my list in one go as possible! Or feel free to email them to me on holly@jerichowriters.com.

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (32)
  • Am I allowed to raise the commenting interface? Specifically how, where there is already a thread of comments, its design encourages people to put their responses to the last comment - whatever it is - as a top-level comment rather than properly threading it?

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Hi Rick, feel free to raise suggested improvements as I can keep a note of these too. I'm mostly focussed on anything that 'needs' to be fixed, but it's helpful to know what you'd like to see too. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I thnk thread coherence is a need. ;-)

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Also, technically, it is about notification coherence. When people reply to the main thread instead of a specific comment, the person they intend to reply to isn't notified (unless they happen to follow already)

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • On notifications, clean up double-counting notifications. Per the following:

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=110&dpx=1&t=1588840926

Two notifications for the same thing - your reply to my previous post within this forum.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Hmm, yes. I will ask them to look at this but I *think* this is because you and I are friends on here so you see my activity as a friend. Then because I replied to you, you see that activity as relating to your comment. I think it needs to recognise when it's notifying about the same piece of content... 

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Only friends on here? 😥

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Haha well I don't think the notifications really kick in for real life friendships! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • I mentioned this somewhere yesterday - I get notifications for everything, but not if someone sends me a message. I stumbled across mine, but others may not be checking their inbox.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Thanks Milla, that's annoying. If you go to your profile and then go to Settings > Notifications (or click here: https://community.jerichowriters.com/page/notifications-settings) you can check which Email and On Site notifications you should be getting. If you haven't already done that, please could you check and see if that helps? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • All my notifications are on, and I can confirm I'm not getting message notifications either.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Thanks Rick. There's clearly an issue if this is the case for multiple people. Added to the list.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • I mentioned it before, when it comes to the Groups I'm a part of I get notifications for new members joining but I get no notifications when someone post something new or a comment so unless I check the group page it looks like there are activities at all.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Thanks, I have that on the list so they'll definitely look into that.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • I should have said, I did check that all my notifications were switched on. And what L. says too!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Hi Holly,  I seem to be getting repeat of several messages and turned of my email notifications but stiil coming through.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Another notifications bug, though a different aspect. When visiting the site, rather than in respect of e-mails, the little red number on the notification bell icon does not match the number of new notifications received.

For example, having visited the site an hour ago and "cleared" my notifications, I just came back. The badge indicated "2" new notifications. But the dropdown list showed only one new notification in the last 10 hours.

So, either it can't count, or there are notification it's counting that I am neither getting e-mails for, nor seeing in the notifications list.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Thanks Rick, added to the list :)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Hi Holly, this is a different problem but I can't work out how to use Messenger. I can't clear old messages, which maybe doesn't matter, and i can't send new ones. The window for a new message is at the very bottom of the screen, I can't see a post button even if I shrink 'view' and see more of the screen. Opening in a new tab makes no difference.

This could be me being dim but I've had several attempts at different times.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Holly Seddon Libby No idea if this might help but I can't see a send button until after I start typing in the message box. Also the button that appears on the right doesn't say "send" just an upward arrow. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Hi Holly and L, I think I may have sorted this. As L said, the arrow appears when I start typing. Clicking that let me realise that I needed to click the start talk button at the top of the page in order to say first who I'm sending the message to. Previously I'd been hunting around at the bottom of the screen looking for buttons. 

I've sent you a test message Holly. Thanks for your and L's help.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Hi Holly and L, I think I may have sorted this. As L said, the arrow appears when I start typing. Clicking that let me realise that I needed to click the start talk button at the top of the page in order to say first who I'm sending the message to. Previously I'd been hunting around at the bottom of the screen looking for buttons. 

I've sent you a test message Holly. Thanks for your and L's help.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Hi Holly,

I have a notification telling me I have a message but when I click to view the message I just get a blank screen :-(

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Holly, a variant detail on the message notifications… When sent a file, that shows up in the on-site notifications list, until I've been to messenger and accessed it, then it disappears from the list.

Well, at least that's what it looked like without active testing. I got the list, saw a file had been sent, went to get it, then when i looked again, it was no longer in the list.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Consistency of available formatting. In these forum threads, we can bold, italicise, underline, strikethrough, align, indent, list… But in a group thread, the available options are absurdly limited.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • Yes, agreed. Update on this whole thread incoming...

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • Hi everyone, thank you so much for your helpful and detailed feedback. I was able to send over a list of 'needs' and 'wants' and right now, we have someone looking at what is possible through re-configuring the way we've set up the community on the platform that it is built on (e.g. are some of these things fixed just by ticking a few different boxes under the bonnet) and also what needs to be redeveloped in a more serious way, using a developer from the platform company. So I expect some of these fixes will be quick and simple and others may take a little longer. Thanks so much for your patience and hopefully you'll see some of these changes pretty quickly. 

Holly

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Thanks Holly Seddon I still can't read/see my message - any ideas how I can find it and read it - or even find out who sent it? Still getting a blank page :-(

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Holly, hoping you're still taking notes to add to that list.

This one is rather technical, as it involves a key component of the notification mechanism, and a consequence thereof. It is definitely a core developer community element to be fixed rather than a configuration.

Notifications use a LIFO notification queue (last in, first out). It also has a throttled queue to not overload e-mail systems and reduce the risk of all the notifications triggering a spam alert.

This means that if there is a lot of activity, older notification can be delayed for (from experience) the better part of a day while the queue slowly clears as it is being constantly refilled.

Two improvements would help here.

• Change the queue to FIFO (first in, first out) so notifications arrive in the order they are raised.
                                            • Have user action clear the queue - if a user gets a notification, comes to the site and clears the on-site notifications, all of those that are still in the e-mail queue waiting to be sent to that user should be cleared, so the user does not get renotified about things they have already seen.
                                            0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                            •  · 630 friends