Anybody Else a Masochist Like I Evidently Am?

So I've joined Jericho Writers and am working my way through all the nifty video courses and tutorials. One of the Character classes goes on and on about staying as close to your character as possible -- and I've realized my entire novel would be far better in first person POV instead of third.

102,900 words. What I'd thought was an agent-ready manuscript. Gee, thanks, Harry ...

Anybody else ever make an enormous shift like this?

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (15)
  • Before you make this huge adjustment, first person doesn’t mean closer. That isn’t what Harry means. You can  be just as close in your characters head in third person as in first.

It’s the use of psychic distance and similar tools to get us close to your characters. I can’t post up a link from my phone, but if you google Emma Darwin’s itch of writing toolkit, (she’s a Jericho tutor) you’ll a post about it in there.

Don’t despair!

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Brilliant!

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Brilliant, Kate. Was thinking the same

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • 0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Does restructuring, completely ditching (and replacing) 20%, then retyping the whole thing (to clean up the parts that are kept) of 160k count? Oh, and doing it twice.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • My book got a complete rewrite following my discovery on the self edit course of psychic distance. I may have kept a few ‘and’s. Do they count!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Only if they're connecting the same half-sentences.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Ditto what Kate said about psychic distance.  The fact that she schooled me on what she learned was immensely helpful for my EIGHTH revision.  I did change from 3rd to 1st on revision 2 when I realized that the later books would require it.  I swear, if someone else asks me to rewrite this book, I will scream loud enough to shatter the moon and cause an apocalypse of epic proportions!

In other words, yes.  Yes, I am a masochist and so much more.  But... the book is done... I hope.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Does this mean I don't get to have a go at PoV awareness and other spatial discontinueties?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Sounds worth a post anyway, Rick 🙂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • I would need the latest draft…

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                  •  · 12 friends