Request for Full manuscript

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Jericho writers and their wonderful manuscript review, in the one-to-one an agent has requested a full manuscript.  I know this is the first step but feels great.  

Julia

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (14)
    • Exciting news for you.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Well done, you must be very excited!

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Well done, Julia! I've just had a full too, though still waiting for a reply.

Hope you hear back soon and the response is a resounding yes 😀

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Great job! Congratulations! :)

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Splendid! Good luck! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Fabulicidudelous - well done you....

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Excellent progress. I hope they'll want to take you on.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • That's fantastic Julia, how can you sleep, you must be so excited, what's your story about?  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • My story is set in late 1940s East London and is based very loosely on my parents story. It's about a love story between a stowaway from Cuba, who takes on a new identity  Desmond and an English young woman Brenda.  Their story charts their struggles in the face of social and family racial prejudice. Social constraints in their courting and married life place an unbearable toll on Brenda. Social ostracism; deep family disapproval;  close relatives refusal is allow Desmond to enter their homes. Desmond is a labourer on the docks and Brenda is a working class woman. At every turn events threaten their love and future happiness.  Desmond managed to get to London via Florida, where he experienced the brutality of Jim Crow. He couldn't read or write. Brenda mother died when she was a child. She was brought up by her grandmother, who died in her teens.  The ending is not obvious to the reader although it's sprinkled throughout the book. It's not the usual happy ever after. It's about quiet love that was there all along..... Desmond's love was too noisy 

Julia

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • When it gets published I'll want to know because I'll be interested in reading it!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Sounds incredible Julia - so very happy for you! ☺

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Also, huge congrats Julia and hoping for great next steps for you!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • When I set up my Twitter author profile - not under this name, maybe I can find you there if you  use Twitter!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Thank you everyone for your good wishes.  I'm not on twitter or facebook and will think about whether i should be part of social media at some point. Perhaps I'm a luddite..... For the past three year I have been member  of a writers group, which meets every week and we post our writing on dropbox and read and critique.  The group has been pivotal in my development as a writer.  They have mentored, supported me with such patience particularly when I ignored their advice on POV and dialogue for weeks until Barbara said why don't you look at dialogue in novels......  she's lovely.  They are authors as well as aspiring ones like me.  They have become our friends.  They have rallied round and willing to assist in whatever way they can.   My journey has been different from the advice I hear on Jericho and even Townhouse.  I didn't write a first draft - I wrote as if this was the final draft and made glaring mistakes it took two years submitting writing every week.  I have published two non-fiction books so I knew it would be completed.  I learned through writing not listening or going on any creative writing courses.  I was not ready to be shown lovely writing and struggling to write like that.  I had to develop my own style. I couldn't concentrate on the techniques of writing because I was just determined to complete the actual story.  I got stuck in the middle..... and in a fleeting moment wanted to give up.  Lynn in the group talked me out of it because he gave me a little speech he said  'I want to read your story you can't give up.'  

This is my journey and it's only just begun.  I know the novel will be published, we all have to know that.  You don't have to write your novel using the draft model -  you can have your own model from whatever your background. My sister reminds me we were a mixed poor working class  family - I had an awful secondary modern education and put on the scrape heap meant to work in the Wonderloaf  factory  or Barratts sweet factory like my mother or get married.As a child, I lived in the same rented house as my great grandmother who moved there in 1910, which looking at me, most people if not all just would not have thought of. People make assumptions about my physical appearance, which becomes wearing over time. No I'm not from the Windrush generation I have no reference points in the Caribbean.   I have come to see that my family was somewhat unique because my father stayed and my relatives despite their initial horror, some cared for us.   I did not end up in the care system. I do not know of a family such as mine.  There must be a few around but know it was rare. I want to write a story about my grandmother and what happened to her. How she ended up homeless and then in a mental asylum in Tooting after having two illegitimate children in the 1920s.  

I have loved the festival because I love to hear from authors who are ordinary people, writing in their garden shed and not particularly famous.  This is a long...... post.

Keep going with your writing.....

Julia......    

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                              •  · 5 friends