What are you all writing?

Hey, its finally Friday which means one thing. Pass me a bottle. 🍾🍷

I'm just curious/nosey what are you all writing?

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (159)
  • I'll take a beer. 🍺 Thank you.

I'm in the early stages of the first draft of my first novel, working title 'The Perfection Engine'. 

Warning: blurb may change at any moment, not always for the better.

Twelve years ago, an unexplained attack on her home killed Membra’s father and left her with devastating, life-changing injuries.

Once one of the most expert thieves in the city-state of Draffe, now she scrapes a living as a researcher and information miner, thieving when she can. But to others' eyes she seems to have rebuilt her life. Inwardly, though, she is incomplete and broken, haunted by regret and guilt, and searching for a wholeness that can never be hers again.

While on a clandestine and strangely well-paid job, Membra finds a mysterious artefact from her past, something she never thought to see again. The discovery reawakens old ghosts and a dangerous adversary, the very one responsible for tearing Membra’s life apart so long ago. Suddenly both the hunter and the hunted, Membra enters a reluctant partnership with Custos, a war-weary ex-mercenary with his own hidden connection to her predicament.

Together, the unlikely couple set out on a journey of revelation and revenge that will lead Membra to a momentous choice, one that will affect not just her but everything that she has ever known. Should she sacrifice who she is now for the chance to regain who she once was?

To win the consummation that she yearns for, Membra must learn to trust her own unique strengths, even when they come from what she sees as flaws and imperfections. And, even then, what she wants may not be what she needs.

And you? 🙂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • But that's the big thing, Sam - recognising that you have some craft to learn and still wanting to do it. You have to love writing, of course.

Ten years ago when I started, I thought I was bloody marvelous, entered competitions and was hurt when I didn't get anywhere, not realising how very far I had to go to become publishable.

Now I've regularly been published in magazines, but have yet to get an agent. I've read advice, sought feedback and I'm improving but I'm way of being as good as I hope to be. Perseverance is really important (and I hasten to add, I'm pretty slow, so many people will improve a lot faster than I have!)

All the best with your writing

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • That sounds really interesting, I’d like to read it 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thank you! 🙂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I'm working on a science fiction novel about members of a hive mind who've developed an incurable disease - individuality.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Oh that sounds interesting, would like to read some 😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Sounds really interesting. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • I already love it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • I'm at least semi-actively working on three things at the moment.

• The first book of a literary fantays tetralogy, where the underlying idea of the whole series is "What would it take for someone to become as evil and universally reviled as Sauron." Book 1 looks at how individuals define themselves.
                • A stand-alone story (I have no idea what the genre would be called) involving the daughter of a mob boss who's outside the family business (she's in finance), but has to contend with her half-brother who has just taken over from their father, and also her best friend who's a cop investigating organised crime…
                • My memoir: 40-Year holiday - Lessons from a life in which nothing and nowhere ever felt like home. (Hint, it's not a "fun" holiday.)

And in writing out that list, I just realised that all three of them open with a murder.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Very different pieces of work, all sound very interesting. A memoir is definitely something I would be keen to do for sure, as for more im not really sure as yet

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Love each concept! It's refreshing to see other writers who delve into a bit of everything. I like the idea of the explorations in the fantasy book, sounds heartbreaking and very interesting. And the memoir deals with a struggle that I can relate to a lot, so I would be very interested to read it!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Look out for Rick - he is highly intelligent!!! 😀 😀  (That means listen to his advice!)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Haha I gathered that, unlike myself then 😅 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • You are intelligent enough to join this group and try to improve your skills!! That is more than most. Most people write blindly and then self publish thinking their story is the best thing sliced bread. Now that is rubbish!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Thanks Sam.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Friday came. Wine, then gin! hic! But hopefully now a week at work is done I can look at writing again at the weekend. I am doing picture books and have nearly finished the first draft of a middle grade story. I am quite enjoying it but have just reread some and am concerned that I may be slightly obsessed with ice cream.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • I found in my last novel characters were forever going to the pub or getting drunk at home. In this book, there's a lot of tea, proper coffee, Glenfiddich and homemade cake!

Though there's a whole crime sub genre that revolves round food, isn't there, so maybe I'm writing the equivalent in supernatural mysteries 😂

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Peanut butter cup - oh, man I could eat that till it comes or if my ears

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Phish food all the way for me

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • After a very busy few months I’m ready for a new project. Eek. I hate staring into the abyss. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • How exciting, just start typing and see where it takes you 😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Knowing your writing, I would love to see your take on a paranormal thriller.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • It’s called The Probability Factor and I’m working on the idea of ‘imagine what you might do if you could affect someone’s decision. Worse, what might someone make you do’. There are probability spinners who the bad guys hire/force to carry out all sorts of dastardly deeds. But it’s about a father trying to rescue his spinner son. It’s probably not commercial but I like the idea.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • I've been working on a story about magic being a disease that kills people and the second civil war a kingdom goes through thanks to it. (I've probably done more world building than plot building in all honesty haha I've figured out a way to make dragons without making dragons (basically they are lizards that wished for warmth so much that their innards turned to lava, the lizards that could not handle it had a very brutal death awaiting them) but I haven't the slightest clue how to even sneak it into the story)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Ah, right… I thought from the earlier summary that the infected individuals were the ones who used the magic, who wished. But what you're saying here is that it's the virus itself that performs these magical adaptations. That's much cooler.

Horse to pegasus is a pretty obvious switch. As, in some instances, is horse to unicorn. It really depends what danger they need to escape from - there are countless variances that would make sense.

Another one I thought of, which I think puts a nice subtle twist in (in that the disease is present in the real world): there is a reason cats have nine lives. (Were they the original carriers?)

As to my list… it's hard to put an exact number on it, given how they are arranged in my notes - some are as little as a title giving me a thematic concept or setting, some are a brief summary. Some are a snipet of character. Some are viable, others aren't. Some may combine. But the starting point is at least 112 novel/short story ideas, and 32 film ideas.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • The disease can be directed through intent, knowledge and belief but if left on it's own it'll make it's own changes as what seems to fit. So a human child can make a flower just because they believe in it, now that flower might end up being made out of ash or it'll whither away and die after two minutes but they'll be able to make some semblance of a flower simply because they believe they can and they want to. Now, in kind a dog could lose an eye (or eyesight) and the disease will act up and it will create another eye even without the intent/knowledge/belief. This eye is most likely going to be useless (so the disease might make another eye afterwards) and it might create an entirely different eye socket for it, or it'll put the eye in the same eye socket as the original blind eye or it might use the original eye and give the dog colored vision on the one eye (assuming dogs have black and white vision, I honestly don't remember). 

The disease actually came from a flower that was cursed by the goddess of witchcraft to go after all of Mother Nature's (her name is different but that is what she is) 'children' in an act of revenge. Some silly human stumbled in, and brought the flower back to the kingdom and wala the disease struck and spread like wild fire.

For the cats- I actually really like that idea and I know exactly how I could bring that into the story eventually (since a group of characters go 'underground' there will naturally be alley cats, right?).

Yeah, horse to pegasus would take a while to evolve (and they don't breed fast enough for it to be possible, Magic is a 16 year thing in the story so only things that can breed rapidly could possibly have the disease effects from evolution), but- hmm I'll probably need to look into how cheetahs are built and compare the two for possibilities on the horses increasing speed or something. 

Damn, that's a lot. I actually did a lot of combining for mine. I had a world built on one story and a plot on another so I squished them and another odd ball story to get the WIP I have now. Film ideas- are you thinking of trying to be a directory of sorts? I don't really know much about the film industry, but I have a few cousins working on getting involved in films (one tried to be a director, but his 'movies' ended up being 5 hours long because he didn't like cutting things)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Horses are mature enough to breed in less then two years - some withing their first year. So they won't have a problem catching an evolutionary boost from the virus.

As to my list… It's been built over 30+ years. And the film ideas (some stories would simply work better in that medium): I'm not interested in directing them, only writing.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Mine's a supernatural mystery with an abduction backstory set in a Dorset seaside town during the power cuts and industrial action of the early 1970s. I'm just starting the second draft and weaving in some Mexican folklore/Day of the Dead threads (one of the MC s spent his childhood in Mexico) so I don't know if that's going to make the story more interesting - that combination of rundown British seaside, social strife and Mexican imagery - or just make it an incoherent mess! Answers in a postcard please 😀

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • A lot did change for women but this seems often to be romanticised in novels and films as though there was continuous progress. In truth of course they knew they'd be put firmly back in the home once war was over. The women I feel most sorry for are those who were schoolgirls during the war, witnessing what women could do but not given the chance themselves after they left school. Yet still having to cope with rationing and austerity. I find the 1950s a depressing period!

But plenty of interesting social history during the war, and often relevant for now.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                              • My mum was born in 1945 and my nan owned a grocers shop, so mum has quite clear memories of rationing. And you're right, of course. Though it was essential that the fighting men had jobs to return to, it was infuriating for the women who'd worked so hard while they were away, gained some newfound independence, to then be told to return to the kitchen. Even this though must have had a long term effect, creating a generation who wanted more for themselves. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Yes, I'm sure it did. And second-wave feminism came along too. But if you were to do some kind of audit comparing the late 40s to the 70s I wonder how much had changed? Similar proportions as before of businesswomen, female academics and artists, for instance? I could be being too pessimistic, but the sexism hadn't reduced and was still politically legislated. In some ways it became stronger and in popular culture was underlined by America which seems to have been even fonder of it than we were. 

It's interesting to me that by the 1970s and 80s, what women had done during the war was often forgotten and some of that seemed intentional. But I suppose the suppression of history is one thing which drives historical novelists. When I started researching the period I was surprised how many roles women had filled. One small example of this forgetfulness which may or may not be relevant. My novel includes female pilots. In the 1980s Stoke-on-Trent created a museum or some kind of memorial for Reginald Mitchell, designer of the Spitfire and a local man. Someone queried why the women who flew the aircraft from the factories to RAF stations weren't mentioned, and one response was to say that the idea of women flying those planes was an insult to the airmen who'd fought in them. Now we think it's an insult to the women to forget their role, but our knowledge of these female pilots is a fairly recent rediscovery. They were one of the several groups, not all female, who were refused official acknowledgement after the war.

Anyhow, I've banged on a lot but the selectiveness of history is fascinating. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • I'm working on a manuscript for an epic fantasy YA/NA novel (I'm actually not sure which I should pitch it as, as there are no scenes that would be inappropriate for a YA audience, but the themes that I want to explore are much more adult than teenager... I'm mostly leaning towards YA as a marketing choice more than because it is the intended audience)

Set in a solar system with only two inhabited worlds, the story follows the lives of two women –one, an exiled princess and heir to the throne of a remote kingdom, determined to return to her home and free it of its oppressors; the other, a refugee in a foreign world, but daughter of a miner from the same kingdom. Together with a band of misfits they must find their way back home, so they may free it of the dark powers that smoked their people out in the first place.

It is ultimately a very personal story about belonging, about the inner search for that place that you can call home, and the paths that faith (not specifically in the religious sense, but like having faith in someone or in a cause), friendship and hope can lead you to.

The fantasy, the magic, the spaceships, are all aesthetic (though they are hopefully crafted to serve the theme), essentially, used as a tool to exagerate certain feelings and notions without pointing at places and events that are specific to our world and history, and hopefully as a way to connect more people to the same story and the same history of this invented place.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • I like it, definitely for YA I would say although would love to read it myself 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    • Thank you! And thanks for the advice regarding NA. I think I will definitely be asking for more advice on categorising my novel from BetaReaders on the next round.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                      • This sounds lovely and I'd definitely be interested in reading something like that

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                      • Sounds like an amazing adventure with real scope for an emotional pull too - great stuff.

So far as audience is concerned, I've gathered from reading threads here that your MC is the main deciding factor for whether a story is ya or not. If your protagonists are older than a ya audience, it's adult. The theme of belonging is a good one for ya, certainly - who didn't feel alienated and misunderstood as a teenager?

Best of luck with it

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                        • Thanks a lot for the advice. My MCs are child/teenager in Act1 but the rest of the story they are adults, and I think their emotional battles are adult, but I think because one of them is only 18, it could easily fit the YA (just) for the sake of getting it on the bookshelf. I think in general I had been adviced to go YA because it's a more successful genre.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                        • Well, it's Saturday morning here so nothing stronger than a mimosa!  As for work, I completed book 1 of a five-book series and am currently 50 pages into book 2 while I'm efforting to find an agent (a task as monumental as the book writing itself!  Writing is too much fine to stop just to wait for an agent.  Besides, if it takes long enough, I'll have the first two books!

The books themselves are set in a post-apocalypse world where a mysterious cloud drifts over the world.  Anything living creature it touches is mutated and blended with other creatures on a genetic level.  The few humans that survived have been split into two classes, mundane and touched.  My main character fights against the prejudice of being touched in a mundane village and then goes out in the world to find more prejudice but also hope that both sides can find peace.  All while living in fear that the Cloud could return at any moment (and does!)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                          • It sounds great

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                          • Interesting what you say about not imposing strict restrictions. I wonder if that was because so many people still had negative memories of strong restrictions and would have complained a lot. Though switching the electricity supply off certainly felt like a top-down approach!

Oh yes, the brown 😊 But that was a fashion thing, a return rather than a continuation. Lots of 1940s-influenced clothes too. It's true, though, that on the whole many attitudes were still fairly post-war until the 1980s.

Definitely a good period for a ghost story. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                            • You could be right about the reluctance to return to rationing. People must still have had very clear memories of the privations they'd recently lived through. Heath couldn't be sure he wouldn't have an uprising in his hands if he pushed people too far

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                              • I'm writing a murder story, somewhere between speculative and magical, with an MC who's unreliable and untruthful. He gives himself away, a lot.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                • Is this your first?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                  • I've written three novels and started one other that rumbled along for over nine years. I'm hoping that this one will stop me trying to write that one.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                    • Thats great, i look forward to the day I complete one lol

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                    • So far this weekend I've killed two people, almost stoned someone to death and burned a hotel to the ground. So a productive writing weekend.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                      • Wow you have been busy 😁

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                        • Dual time line, hence double climax, double the fun! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                        • image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=189&dpx=1&t=1596419747

I'm reading this thread from a lovely spot, accompanied by the sound of the waves and not much else  :-)

Trying to spend a bit of time each day also adding to my current WIP, It's a story set around 60 years in the future and is about the dark side to halting the ageing process, which the MC unintentionally did some 70 years ago when middle-aged. Like so many people, she feared and reviled 'growing old' so much that she took every potion, lotion and treatment available to avoid it. Once she hits her 70's, looking so fantastic for her age starts to become unnerving; and too late, doctors discover what's happened to her.

Its working title is Be Careful What You Wish For. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                          • Hi what a great view! Your story sounds brilliant, I have to read it 😀 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                            • Why thank you :-) I've attached the opening chapter if you're interested.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                              • thanks, will be reading it later 😀 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                              • Hi everyone,

Late to the party as usual! Like Rick, I’m working on three projects; one well advanced, one an extended sketch plan and the third just a developing concept. 

The first is a YA novel, first of what I hope will be a series of up to seven stories. Tricky categorisation, though fantasy closest. Set in the very near future in a Britain that has closed itself off from the world, it revolves around the kidnap of a baby, the exact clone of King Arthur. The MC, Asha, is a girl whose life has been erased, making her the girl who never was. Her mother is missing, presumed dead (though Asha refuses to believe she’s dead), while her father has been kidnapped by government agents. She finds herself hiding out in a school in the West Country, aiding the three-thousand-year old Merlin Ap-Emrys to rescue the baby Arthur and return him to sanctuary (as the series develops, we’ll find Asha has a lot more in common with Arthur than she realises…). We’re into a sixth edit and hope to go Kindle in the autumn (and I’m well advanced with Book 2 in the series…).

Second book is a bit of a whimsy, based on my love of history, Spain…and chocolate. It’s called The Three Chocolatiers, and is set in Astorga in 1810. It tells the story of three rival confectioners who, more by luck than judgement, help to defeat Marshal Marmont’s invasion of neighbouring Portugal, while fighting each other for the love of another chocolatier’s daughter. You might say it’s a story of love, war…and chocolate (with a distant descendent of D’Artagnan thrown in for good measure).

Third book just a concept at this stage; sort of Poldark meets Agatha Christie, set in late 18th century Devon (rather than Cornwall, although of course Agatha was a Torquay girl). Features a strong female lead, a wealthy heiress, ably assisted by her two brothers, one an Anglican priest (and amateur scientist), the other a soldier (the muscle), recently returned from the defeat in America and accompanied by his Native American friend (mystic and tracker). Okay, so a little bit Pactes des Loups; and the first story does involve French emigrés and a series of grizzly murders, ala the Beast of Gevaudan…  

So much for the ideas. Finding the time to do them all? Not a chance!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                • Hi, they sound like a good mix, Don't you find it hard working on 3 at once?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                  • I’m focusing on the first; the others I’m still developing plot and character ideas to take a concept towards a first draft. Sort of musing in the breaks between editing (and full time work!).

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                    • Great stuff! Good luck with it 😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                    • Finishing Vol III of my Stapledonian time opera "Brief Music" . . . 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                      • 👏 brilliant 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                      • Hi. A bit late to this particular party but I'm working on a crime thriller sequel to a book published a few years ago. The protagonist is a freelance journalist who is employed by a dying businessman to search for the grandson who he rejected before birth. But it turns out that he's not the only one who's looking for the boy.

The elevator pitch:- Three people are looking for the sixteen year old son of a traveller woman. One to change his life for the better; two to end it.

I also have a book "on hold" which is the fifth in a series about an ex-police dog handler & his dog who become unofficial crime-fighters after he's forced out of his job under a cloud.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                        • Sorry for late reply. I really like the sound of your story as I do the ex police dog series. Have you got more details please

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                          • Sorry not to reply, Kelly! How rude! I didn't get any notification of your comment.

The WIP is a sequel to Outside Chance by Lyndon Stacey (my NdeP) I have now completed the first draft & am on my way through the edit 😊

And there are four books in the police dog handler series,  starting with No Going Back. They are available on Amazon etc, along with others.

My dream is to have the police dog series adapted for TV. There is a definite gap in the market & in a nation of dog lovers, I would have thought it would be really popular.  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                          • I’m trying to finish my memoir/narrative non-fiction work about my experiences of coping with a bizarre and very painful rare neurological condition in the years between losing both my parents retold through the transformation myths of Ovid. This grew out of the extended project I wrote for my Masters degree. My working title is ‘Of bodies changed...’, which is the opening line of Ovid’s Metamorphoses.

I’m also writing a novel set in  the industrial South Wales in the turbulent 1970s where a group of schoolgirls who join a choir because they have a crush on the choirmaster, and find themselves drawn into a world where local politics, religion and education pivot around music (eisteddfodau, cymanfa ganu, oratorios). The girls soon find themselves being used as pawns in the power play between adults as the choir master uses their talents to further his own ambitions to get his composition premiered by the BBC, until the pressures upon them lead to tragedy. It’s really a satire on the incestuous world of Welsh culture where everyone who is anyone (known as ‘the crachach’)  belongs to the same chapels/choirs/councils etc, a world that children are often initiated into early via the network of local and national eisteddfodau.

I’m also trying to put together a doctoral proposal for a fictional work accompanied by a thesis that explores multi-generational/female autism, as it’s an area that has been very poorly researched, and because I feel fiction is a very good way to unpick the complex issues that arise when autistic families interact over several generations, creating their own mythologies that lead to conflict, schisms and tragedy over and over again as each new generation discovers the outside world lives by a very different set of rules.

It’s all progressing very slowly because I find writing physically difficult because of my various disabilities, and because we’re currently caring for my mother who is terminally ill, but I keep going because of the positive feedback I’ve had from examiners, and finally from finding potential doctoral supervisors.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                            • Your stories sound really interesting, would love to see more when you feel upto it.

Sorry about your mum.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                            • I'm working on a Rom com - decided to change from first to third person so huge rewrite and also an apocalyptic trilogy (part one done/part two started.) I flick between the two when the mood takes me. In reality not done much of either recently as work been manic (working from home and lucky or unlucky enough not to be furloughed) and have young kids at home - I was going to say due to summer holidays but they've been here since March!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                              • Look forward to reading some if your going to share 😀. 

Yeah the summer holidays have been all year lol.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                              • Sinced you asked...

Story #1:  Fan fiction as alternate history based on some of my favorite rock groups from the 1970s.

Story #2:  A young adult dystopian novel in which a seventeen-year-old girl's search for the truth, no matter what it is or who it hurts, turns into a life or death mission.

I alternate between them, so as to keep the creativity going, and to keep boredom and stagnation from setting in.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                • Sound great Debby 😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                • Hi! I'm working on a literary novel about a homeless trans man struggling with self-denial and suicidal ideation... here's part of my blurb for it:

Aria Maher is a homeless trans man living a reclusive life by the canal. He tells himself he chose this life, that silence on the canalpath is what he wants. But in reality, Aria’s dysthymia is worsening; his gender dysphoria’s bubbling over and there’s no-one to turn to. His past taught him it’s best not to tell anyone who he really is. Yet if he keeps his pain locked inside for much longer, it’ll swallow him whole.

But when he sees a dead girl fished out of the water, Aria must struggle against his apathy and finally do something. Find out who she was and why she died. His search for help leads him to the underbelly of the city, where he meets Anzhelika: a Karelian victim of sex-trafficking, searching for her sister. Soon enough the two of them are dragged to the city’s underworld, where trafficked women go missing without a sound. The more they search, the more dead bodies seem to be popping up. And with the city seemingly happy to forget they exist, Aria’s dream of finding a place to belong just may have hit an impassable wall.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                  • sounds intriguing - I couldn't write  literary novel I don't have the ability!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                    • I don't think it's any harder than other genres / styles of writing. You just have different expectations to live up to! I can't write breakneck-paced thrillers or comedies or things like that, haha.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                    • Greetings all, 

I'm late, but I hope better late than never. 

I work on a Science Fiction novel that explores the clash between us embracing cyborg technology and the rise of ASI who would like to have human pets at the same time. And to add to the mix, everything is complicated by human selfishness and greed. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                      • Sounds great, how are you getting on

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                      • Generally MG fantasy. I've also written 2 picture books and am turning another story I wrote back into a book. Not as easy as it may sound. Loved writing the script but no market for unknown writers, apparently.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                        • I can draw an amoeba

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                          • That’s ace! I’m imagining a lovely cartoon of a family of amoebas (amoebae?)

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                            • Sounds good Allison,  what are your picture books called

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                            • I've finally got round to starting a novel based in a world where technological and scientific advances mean when we are born we are told our expected date of death. It's set some time after this becomes the norm and society has split in to different 'zones' based on life expectancy and wealth. The idea is for the novel to focus on a couple of individuals and their own more personal battles, but with the background of a society teetering on the brink of revolution.

That said I've only written the first couple of chapters as time is proving the biggest struggle currently, so who knows where it'll end up!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                              • that sounds intriguing. I know what you mean about time. That is a problem for a lot of us. Keep chipping away at it and it will get there.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                              • I’m working on a travelogue non-fiction book on my experience hiking the Appalachian Trail.  There are lots of blogs on the topic but few books and I think it can really hit a nitche audience.  If not it gets my experience on paper and maybe inspire others to get out and hike.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                • Sounds great, I have always wanted to try hiking, nothing beats gettimg outdoors right?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                  • Totally love it. As an avid hiker I’m open to answer answer anything someone might want to know.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                  • Hi everyone, and what am I writing? Nothing, for the first time in six or seven years, I have nothing to write. I am planning to re-write book one (first draft 2014) for NaNoWriMo, but while I wait for that I will be thinking what I can do next. It seems strange not to be on draft one, two, three or editing. Very strange. I will read loads this month too. My big question is what do I want to do next, what type of story, characters. Darker or lighter than the others? Different genre? Style. It will come to me, when I don't expect it. Hope you're all feeling encouraged by your progress with WIPs and edits everyone. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                    • I hope the right idea comes to you at the right time. I’ve not yet had that experience with writing, but I have with other creative practises, and the project that eventually emerged was better by far than I could possibly have dreamt up during an enforced brainstorming session. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                    • Small moment of celebration: I’ve actually begun my novel! All 276 words of it so far, but after years of thinking, researching in the archives, plotting on paper, in bed, while cycling, and all the avoiding, procrastinating, being scared, writing other things to avoid this, even 276 words feels worth marking. Now I need to go and cook dinner, but I am hereby promising myself that next week there will be more words too.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                      • Congratulations Catherine!!! So proud, you'll do great!!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                        • Thanks for the encouragement Sibo. Gratefully received!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                          • My pleasure! ❤ 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                          • Good for you. I am the world’s most experienced procrastinator so I empathise totally. Every little milestone is a great achievement and all that stuff in your head will find its way into a fab novel I’m sure!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                            • Thank you! Some of that procrastinating was in fact mulling it over and letting the story ferment (in a good way), and some of it was very much necessitated by a year of starting a completely new job and homeschooling a child during a pandemic. But I certainly know lots about true procrastination too, and about putting off things that feel too daunting. Glad to be underway!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                              • Just let me know when you need a reader. I so want to know more about your York sewing ladies 😀

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                • Don't hold your breath quite yet! But thank you very much.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                • I have a number of long and short stories, in various stages of completedness. The longer ones, having not been touched for so long, are dusty enough to be used for writing notes on - with my finger.  I feel more at home with shorter stories, and in particular, those aimed at younger readers.  Now that I have finished my degree, I am making a concerted effort to get something out there, and am looking for an agent.

The piece that I am putting forward is a 3700 word story aimed at junior school children, titled The Happy Toilet.  I initially wrote it whilst I was a caretaker in a school, and spent much of my time with a mop and bucket in one hand, and a plunger in the other.

Ask yourself this - if a toilet had the choice, would it be: A) bored and safe in a store room? B) used and abused in a school? C) in the sun, beside a pond, planted up with flowers, and surrounded by gnomes?
                                                                                                                                  Answers on a postcard please.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                  • Definitely C. I'm looking forward to seeing this story.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                    • Hello Kelly.
                                                                                                                                      I'd love to get some feedback on this story, but I understand we have to post in a particular place, and contribute a bit before we ask. Do you know how this works? Still finding my way around.
                                                                                                                                      Peter

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                      • Post on the critique forum. There’s always willing critters around.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                      • I think so too.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                        • That sounds like a perfect story for primary school kids. Great fun and original. Good luck with it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                          • I'm on my first one too! The most important thing is that you have started it and getting words on paper! Thats great. Keep up the good work!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                            • I'm on my first one too! The most important thing is that you have started it and getting words on paper! Thats great. Keep up the good work!

0 0 0 0 0 0

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                • I'm a latecomer to this thread but thought I'd mention on it something I missed out of a group post.  I'm currently working on another short story, whilst my previous one is waiting for the judgement of a magazine - but my next novel is calling.  My current tale was to be the first in a  collection.  Each story was to be individual but told in the same setting with the same character featuring in the background; a character with her own story woven through, to hold it all together.  They would be short stories in a novel form.  In short, a shovel!  This wasn't going to work, I don't think, so I'm editing what I've done so that it stands on its own but don't yet know what I'll do with it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                  • That sounds really interesting. I love the "shovel" idea! Best of luck!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                  • I'm like Blakeney, late to the thread, but I am in last month of book process. My novel releases on January 18th. The Grief of Wisdom.  It's a contemporary fiction. Anyway, it's  fun reading what everyone is up to. I'm excited for a new project and look forward to seeing you all around the townhouse. I have not utilized my membership enough this year, though back in lockdown I was frequently checking in. Plan to be here more often. There's so much to learn. Signed up for two seminars over the next two weeks. Hopefully see some of you there! Take care. Stay safe. Stay WARM!!! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                    • I am also late to this thread, I just joined jericho writers! I am about to start writing my first book (I have wanted to forever but am afraid no one will like it) and joined to see what everyone else was working on and find other authors' advice on writing. I'll be writing in the contemporary romance genre at least for my first book.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                      • I am working on my travel memoir.

It is a story of a teacher in mid-60s, of questionable health, a newbie rider, who purchases a 90cc motorcycle, loads it with camping gear, food, water, oil, spare fuel and, without a motorcycle license or a satnav, sets off from west Kent to conquer Scotland's northern and western shores. The book describes my adventures on a 3,500 miles journey and everything that Scotland has to offer.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                                                                                                        Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                                                                                                                                        •  · 18 friends