There's hope after all. Oh, and the real me.

Hello Townhouse. This post is to highlight the benefits of this community.

Firstly, due to my introverted nature, and my distrust of things internet, I created the Charlie Brown alias. But, 1)I've slowly began to relax my views and 2)Because everyone here has been so kind and helpful over the past however long I've been a member, recently, I've fellt guilty about misleading you.

So this is me.

Secondly, some good news. Some of you know of my recent shortlisted story entry. Limbic Street to Memory Lane. Romance of the Lost Souls, formerly A Never-Ending Love and the Forgotten Ghosts of Jasper's Park, formerly The Unforgotten Ghosts of Jasper's Park.
Well, it came 3rd place in what I think could be a relatively small press. But, after three years of rejections, and me very nearly giving up trying, this success was really needed. The only reasons the success came about is because of the confidence that being among my peers here has given me. This helped me persevere. Also the feedback that was given on this story was paramount, a big thanks to those who contributed. You know who you are.

Lastly, please don't congratulate. Just accept my deepest gratitude and keep doing what you're all doing. Members and staff included. I've poked my head into other communites, but always end up coming here to touch base, even if I don't talk, I watch and learn.

Here's the link if you'd like to have a look. The story is very slightly altered.  https://www.henshawpress.co.uk/september-2020/

🙃

4 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (43)
    • Hi Jimmy (and farewell Charlie!)

I know you said not to congratulate. But I hope I'll be forgiven if I do anyway!  😉 That's a great result for a really terrific story. I'n so pleased that all your creativity and hard work paid off! Well done.

I read the published version of the story, and I think the changes you've made since the last version I read have improved it even further. It's a super piece of work! And I hope there'll be many more like it.  🙂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Naughty naughty. I'll forgive you this once. Thank you, and thank you.😉

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Welcome in your new/old self. I'm so glad your perseverance and the benefits of a helpful community are starting to pay off for you. And an excellent picture. Did you draw/create it?

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Nice one.
          No, unfortunately, I haven't drawn in years. It's a photo edited on my phone.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • If I’ve learned one about writing is that every success should be celebrated so congratulations!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Exactly that. Fair play to you. I live by those sentiments. That was merely in jest. I gave up worrying too much what people think about me a long long time ago. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Katherine, I've heard that gin stops hair turning grey. 😂 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Maybe that's what I've been missing all my life 😊 Though I've come to love my grey hair now.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Because I'm new I haven't contributed to your success at all.  Therefore I'm at liberty to congratulate you.  Well done Jimmy. WooHoo!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • I tried to read your story yesterday but it was late, I was tired and I failed to fight my way into it past the ponderous, unwieldy description in the first couple of paragraphs.  A case for telling rather than showing there I think!  What did Lacey have to do with it?

By the end I felt like crying.  Was it poignant, tragic and thought provoking?  If the art it in had been more in telling the story and less in art for art's sake you'd have won that competition.  In my ill considered, unqualified opinion of course.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Thanks for taking the time to read it, Alison.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • My pleasure, and I mean that sincerely.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • And I'll congratulate you not on the success itself - a point event - but the growth - past, present and future - that enabled that success, and the others to come.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • That'll do.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Well done, gives us all hope.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Thanks. Here's to not another three years.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • I loved this story and am thrilled you got a place with it, well done.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Thanks, Karen. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It means a lot.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Hello Jimmy, the real you.  Nice to meet you and it's very uplifting to hear your comments and see your success.  Thanks for telling us.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Nice to meet you too...again.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • I admit, I was never taken in by the alias ;-) 

So nice to hear a happy ending - I mean both the win and the fact that you feel comfortable and supported here.

Looking forward to some more complex, brain twisting stories.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • A happy beginning you mean.
                                  Thanks, I'll get my thinking cap on.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Hi Jimmy/Charlie,

I loved your short story! The twist at the end was very skilfully done. Definitely keep writing more 😁 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Cheers, emmaloo. Much appreciated.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Well done!... And Thank You for sharing.

I've read it and I can see that the quality of writing (very atmospheric, I could picture the setting as if I was there) and the twist at the end got you that well deserved place.  Keep at it! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Thank you. Setting was the task in the course it was born in, way back when.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Welcome to the real you, Jimmy. Wherever you bin, wipe it. Now you're out and on a roll. Well done.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • But where I've been has been good, even if it hasn't. Thanks though Robert. 👍🏾

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • Brilliant - well done - I've entered so many shot story comps I lost count and never got placed even so I know how hard it is to do - onwards and upwards.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Absolutely. Keep trying, mate.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • How did I miss this post before? Firstly, thank you for your kindness about the community, I agree that everyone here is so supportive and generous with their time. And secondly, even though you didn't want any, congratulations. I just read the story and it's wonderful, I *might* be a little tired and emotional this morning but it made me cry! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                              • Well I'm really glad it made you cry, Holly, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Jimmy. I enjoyed your story very much, especially the twist at the end. In fact, I enjoyed it more than those placed first and second. - well done!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • Thanks Helen, I appreciate that. I'm not worried about where I'm placed. The important thing for me is finally some recognition, and growth.
                                                    I have to admit though, stories aside (I enjoyed reading them, so nothing against them), certain typos and errors in the other entries did make me question the credibility of the competition a little.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • It's a hell of a story, Jimmy. It's very well done. I don't know how I missed this post either, but am so glad it caught up with me. I wish you continued writing recognition & think you will get it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    • Wow, that story seems like a lifetime ago now. How time flies. Thanks for your kind words, Janet, I really appreciate it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    • Jimmy, Wonderful, it is very well written, imaginative, different in a good way. 

Sorry, I haven't looked on Jericho vor ages, I was in Prague for a month, and I am busy proofreading my typeset book and meeting ( zoom0 the marketing department of my publisher, it's coming out in the end of September. Exciting, but very scary. What if nobody reads it or they do but say it's the stupidest book they had ever read!? And reading good writing like yours makes me think " how dare you, with your writing in English with a Czech accent/" But I will dare, we should all be daring. 

Eva

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                      • Hi Eva. No need to apologise. We all have lives. I haven't been here myself for a while.

Nice one, that really is exciting. Congratulations. Can I ask what the book is about?

I like your spirit. You're damn right, we should all be daring, as long as you can shut that voice up on your shoulder and listen to the one on the other. It seems that you're doing that, and I'm sure it will be a success.

It's really flattering to know you think of my writing like that. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                      • Thanks for sharing, Jimmy. Well done. Great writing and dialogue. Loved it! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                        • Thank you so much, Lisa. Very kind of you to say so. It wouldn't have happened without the help of the people here.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                        Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                                        •  · 32 friends