Book recommendations and genre clarifications -- bookclub/paranormal romance

I'm confused about genres. I'm writing a romance that I hope will come under the bookclub/woman's fiction genre. It is set in the real world with a definite paranormal twist -- I'm not talking Vampires and werwolves, but a more subtle approach. Would paranormal romance be the right term? Or is does it just refer to teen vampire stories etc? Or would contemporary fantasy romance be more appropriate?

Could anyone recommend books that span the paranormal romance/bookclub, or even literary genres. I'm thinking something like Kate Mosse's Labyrinth -- set in the real world with paranormal twists. Or maybe Chocolate by Joanne Harris (and some of her other books) with perhaps a little more emphasis on the paranormal.

Or does all of this come under Speculative Fiction?

I hope someone out there understands what I'm getting at!

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (6)
  • AMENDMENT

Second to last paragraph was meant to read: Or does this all come under Magical Realism. Not: Or does all of this come under speculative fiction!

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Hi Iren,

The fact that you had to amend your post just points up what a can of worms genre can be! I was reading something about this the other day. It seems the term paranormal is used for vampires/werewolves. Otherwise it's mystical or supernatural.  I’m writing something along those lines, though set during WWII. I liked ‘supernatural’. Have you tried looking at the lists of genres on Amazon or Goodreads?  

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Alex

Thanks very much for that, I have had at supernatural but now I'm wondering where the line is drawn between magical realism and fantasy or supernatural? Your book sounds interesting. Good luck!

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Iren, 

A book qualifies as a romance if the actual plot revolve around the will they/won't they get together and also has a HEA (Happy Ever After) or HFN (Happy For Now).

As far as I remember the plot of Chocolat makes it women's fiction (even though I don't like that label) as the main plot is about an outsider (woman) disturbing the quiet life of a sleepy village, but has some romance elements.

Book group fiction are normally books which deal with contemporary issues or universal themes and pose questions that can be discussed in a book group or books that sparks discussions, for example Kiley Reid's Such a Fun Age or Gail Honeyman's Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Paranormal romance is a romance (so plot revolves around will they/won't they) and tend to involve vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, or time travel, or people with psychic abilities.

Magical realism is more reserved to literary fiction that combined the realism of our world with a slight magical element like for example Gabriel García Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Finally, our current world with a fantasy element normally falls under Urban Fantasy like Neil Gaiman's American Gods or Neverwhere.

I hope this helps.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • What Laure says! ^^^

On the basis of the brief description given, I was just about to suggest that it might be edging into Urban Fantasy! 😁 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thanks very much L and Jon, that's very helpful. I've don't more research now and I'm thinking it might be magical realism bookclub! Time to do a bit (more) wider reading and check :)

0 0 0 0 0 0
            Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
            •  · 25 friends