Publisher charges to consider MS

I was browsing the Submission pages of an Irish publisher to submit my novel (I'm Irish, live in London0 and found they charge 750e to consider an MS.

What a cheek!

And they're not a vanity publisher (Liberties Press) per se, they publish the successful crime author Declan Burke.

Anyway, steer clear.

https://libertiespress.com/submit-publication/

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (6)
  • Thanks, Jeff. Cheeky devils

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • It's not quite as bad as it sounds. Similar, in concept, to a JW manuscript assessment.

Yes, it's marketed as a path to publication with them, which makes it look quite questionable. But if seen for what it is… it depends on the quality of the feedback they provide.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Rick,

The difference between the publisher and Jericho is that if you pay Jericho for an MS assessment - that's exactly what you're getting. They're not dangling the idea that you'll get published. You pay X for Y service and in return get a detailed report on your MS.

The publisher, however, is charging 750e to "consider" your MS - with no guaranteed feedback. They could simply browse your cover letter and synopsis and decide, "not for us". And all done in a half hour. Nice 750e in the bank.

It is a corrupt practice which I've highlighted to a writers' union who said they were "delighted" I flagged this up, agreeing that the publisher is wrong.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • It's very questionable. Do they pay decent royalties or give decent advances? If I were going to pay that much for a manuscript assessment I would want full details of what I would be getting in return.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I hear their royalties and advances are lousy and lousy.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi everyone,

This guide might be useful: https://jerichowriters.com/hub/get-published/

It lists all the different routes to publication (including vanity publishing) and the pros and cons. 

Holly 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
          •  · 9 friends