To space or not to space…

I have always placed my ellipses, in my writing, tight up against the last word of a truncated sentence. Sans space. (Maybe my underlying logic is that I don't want the ellipsis to be orphaned on a separate line.) But something I read recently suggests that the normal styling is to include a space between the last (fading) word and the ellipsis …

What's your opinion? To space or not to space?

(And for anyone who wants to recommend the Chicago Manuel of Style's spaced ellipsis ( . . . ), just: no.)

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (13)
    • I've always been a non-spacer, Rick, for what it's worth. It seems to me illogical to have equal spacing between the word of which the ellipsis is the 'continuation' and the beginning of the next thought or statement, which the ellipsis has bugger all to do with!

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I am a non-spacer. It looks wrong to me with a space, like a little island rather than part of the mainland of its sentence. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I've never left a space. I've just run it through Pro Writing Aid using all variants: 4 dots, 3 dots, spaces in between, before, and it always suggests to lose the space between last word and ellipsis.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • No space. If that makes me not nornal...

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Same...no space.

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Space. That's what Benjamin Dreyer does in Dreyer's English and as far as I'm concerned, he's king. :)

In print a space looks best but on screen it doesn't look quite so convincing. Not enough space between the dots. But unless there's good reason to do otherwise I follow print protocols. The romance of print ...

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Jon, you should have told us you came here from a parallel universe. Sensical advice from the UK government is proof.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • 😂 😂 😂

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • It could be the difference between US and UK, Jon. Dreyer doesn't say so, though the UK edition of the book - which is the one I have - usually draws attention to national differences in style. The Guardian Stylebook (2004) puts in a space, but I'm the first to admit/complain that what the Guardian chooses to do with punctuation isn't always helpful. It often seems to look down its nose at commas as if they have no purpose. One could say they could do away with the space before an ellipsis and keep it on hand for when a comma would be helpful. :)

Thank you for the link to the style guide 🙂 It looks useful for all kinds of things.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • No space. However, I am not particular-whatever my editor or publisher wants, if that is, I ever get an editor or publisher. As a reader I wouldn't notice unless it was a space between each, that I regard as a waste of precious space.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Have never left a space

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot (as cried out by my manuscript). Also, no space.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                          •  · 70 friends