Another newbie

Hi folks!  Like PamelaLG , I've been JW-stalking from afar the last few months (loving the webinars, both for content and the chat alongside, and harrybingham 's weekly emails), and I'm finally showing my e-face on Townhouse. 

I'm taking covid as the incentive/opportunity/excuse I've needed for over ten years to stop for a while and try and put 14 years of travel scribbles into some kind of book-like shape. Word-count isn't too much of an issue - more on cutting-down than first-draft writing - but hauling it all into some kind of coherent narrative and the endless editing are challenging...

Looking forward to lots more writing-chat!

1 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (19)
    • Welcome to the Townhouse! What sort of travel scribbling have you been doing?

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I think there's a messaging function, though I haven't looked for it myself yet.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • if you click your name in the top right corner you get a menu bar and messenger is one of the options on there. (very proud of myself telling someone else how to do something technical!)

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thank you so much, Kate Backhouse !

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Welcome Elizabeth! 🙂

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Welcome, Elizabeth! What a truly fascinating life you've looked. I'm sure it'll make for brilliant reading

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Thank you so much, Lynn Love ! What are you working on yourself?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • I'm a speculative/historical fiction writer really - often supernatural elements in an historical setting. Saying that, the novel I have with an agent at the moment is all speculative without the historical, being a supernatural mystery set in the present. My current WIP is supernatural too but set in a seaside town during the early 1970s. I'm on the second draft now but not going as fast as it's like

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Welcome Elizabeth. It sounds like a book I’d love to read. You seem to have lived the life that I would have loved to live in a parallel universe. My life has been comfortable and conventional but I like to have adventures vicariously through my reading 😀

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Welcome Elizabeth.  Interested to see where you've been.  I lived in Ivory Coast for nine years many years ago

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Oh how fascinating, Jaye Sarasin ! It's definitely On My List, particularly after my first foray properly into West Africa in 2018 (six weeks in Ghana and Burkina Faso). Did you manage to travel around the region much when you were there?

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Hi Elizabeth.  Sorry I never got back to you immediately.  Life intervened as they say.  I did get to see a fair bit of the West African coastal countries and South Africa.  Left a deep impression (malaria attacks as well!) Gorgeous people although volatile.  It was all pretty primitive - pre-oil - in my day but I don't suppose the ordinary folk have profited very much from that. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Another welcome to the Townhouse, Elizabeth! 😀 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • From one Elizabeth to another, welcome!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Hope I'm not too late, welcome Elizabeth!!😊

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Hi Elizabeth, welcome and it's great to meet you here.  Yes, I agree Harry's emails and the webinars here are excellent.  Here's wishing you more power to your writing.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                              •  · 2 friends