Webinar Woe

Last night's webinar was the third I've joined since becoming a member of Jericho Writers.  I was especially looking forward to it but I'm deeply disappointed.

I may have misunderstood but I thought it would be connected with the responses to Our Great Leader's blog, The Writer's Life, but there was no reference to it.  The few member posts that were answered seemed to have arisen during the webinar so I posted a question about this but it wasn't answered.  

There's a wide range of really useful features from Jericho Writers, especially the video courses and peer-to-peer critiques, from which I've personally benefited but I don't feel these webinars really work.  The random nature of the chosen responses will frustrate most people.

I registered for another one but won't be joining it.  I say all this more in sorrow than in anger, (if you'll excuse the cliche).

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (14)
  • Stick with it Blakeney.  Try choosing webinars which are tutor led rather than a series of responses to questions - some are truly great

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • That's a useful tip.  Thank you, Jaye.

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Hi, Sorry you found last night a disappointment.  I don't have an axe to grind but, by chance, I took time to type up my scribbled notes from previous webinars this morning and was surprised when I put it together how much solid info there was. Among the highlights for me were Slushpile Live with Laura Williams, Book Doctor Surgery with Debi Alper, Self editing with Harry, Endings with Debi Alper, and the elevator pitch one with Sam Copeland. You may well be much further on than me with your writing skills, but I found the stuff on narrative triangle and psychic distance especially was very helpful. With a live webinar and something like 230 plus people joining, the info is bound to be general but they are free with membership and I think they do a worthwhile job. They still work for me at my stage in writing.  Angela. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • I've been doing writing a long time, but that doesn't necessarily make me any more skilled than you, Angela.  I'm glad you've found the webinars useful.  I just find them very frustrating. I would probably watch one with Debi Alper, though, because I've seen her on other things and like the way she puts her message across.  Thank you for your comments.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Please excuse the use of the word "doing" in my first sentence.  I don't know how that got in there.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • I think you have to accept with so many people sending questions those answered will be a bit random. I find that quite useful though because other people ask things that I’d never even thought of. Sometimes it goes on a tangent that isn’t what you were hoping for but like Jaye and Angela say, there are so many useful resources these are just one part of the package. I have  found it helpful to watch the recorded webinars. Then you can dip in and out and work out which speakers you find most helpful if you don’t want to commit the time to registering for a live one you aren’t sure about.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thank you for your comments. My main beef about Tuesday night's was the disconnection between the webinar and what we had posted in answer to Harry's blog.  I thought that's what it would be all about: that some of those posts would be dealt with by speakers in the webinar. Naturally, I completely realise that, with so many people joining, only a fraction can be dealt with but this was another disappointment.  You could join every one and still not be given an answer to your entry because of the random nature of the choices.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • I see both sides, here. I do understand your frustration, Blakeney, especially if your hope was to get some feedback on something specific. There are just so many people taking part and it must be so easy to go off on tangents with a live webinar.

I think watching them in replay is a good idea but I think that feature is only available for members - is that right?

Maybe there are just too many people taking part? Should they put a cap on numbers?

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Thank you, Lynn.  Yes, I think you're right about the recorded webinars.  It would certainly be a bit less frustrating to watch them, since your hopes wouldn't be raised.

You've made a constructive suggestion.  Perhaps that's something that can be looked at.  After all, there must be other people who feel as I do.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Hi Blakeney

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the webinar we did on Tuesday. This was open to all and intended to be a fun session on goal setting and being accountable. We sadly couldn't possibly talk about everyone's individual goals but if you have specific questions, we do have the Ask Jericho service for members so you can send in specific queries. If you email info@jerichowriters.com with a specific question, the team will answer it in as much detail and as quickly as possible. 

We have a huge programme of events this year, including a wide variety of webinar formats, so please do give some more a try! 

Best wishes,

Holly 

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Hi Blakeney - yes, I thought we'd spend more time picking up people's specific commitments, but one of the virtues / pitfalls of these group chat sessions is that the conversation does take a somewhat random path ... although one that tends to be led by the comments / questions arising in the chat. And personally, I do think that randomness has its merits. I actually learned some stuff from that webinar that I hadn't expected to.

I'd say when we have a single presenter and a specific topic (eg: Harry Bingham on Self Editing) then you know exactly what you're going to get and we stick pretty rigorously to the script. When you have a group session that's very much about interaction with the wider group, the definition will get a bit fuzzier.

Oh yes, and I don't know whether this means anything - but we all had a great time! Hopefully that contributes to a sense of energy and possibility ...

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Thank you, Harry.  It may be that a single presenter event would be more enlightening, although no less frustrating when it comes to receiving answers.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for recorded webinars.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Hi Blakeney  You might find it better to try the back catalogue for a flavour of things and see what suits your preferences? I can highly recommend ones by Debi Alper and Rebecca Horsfall for example https://members.jerichowriters.com/content/show-dont-tell-live-with-rebecca-horsfall-november-2020/  and https://members.jerichowriters.com/content/258994/ are two I have found really helpful. Sx

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • I've looked at a few recorded webinars but I don't think I've seen those.  I'll take a look.  Thank you, Sarah.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                    •  · 4 friends