Rewriting...

I have two completed manuscripts which no one wanted 😢 I think after 30+ agent rejections, that’s a fair assessment... but I’m doing ok because I’ve decided to take the best of both and create a stronger, better hybrid. I started by trying to cut and paste bits out of each story so the blank page feeling was gone. But I’m getting so confused about where I am in the plot and half the names are wrong, so... today I decided to just start again and rewrite from the beginning... I’ve been watching the "How to Write" video course and got to the plot part today and I’m developing a new plan with correct names and time lines and - hopefully - taking on board what I’ve learned so far from the videos... wish me luck 🤞📝

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (9)
  • good luck!🍀

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Thanks Kate 😲

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • Hi Anne, this "10 Key Scenes" list from C S Lakin might be useful for plotting in the key bits that you are recycling :-)

image_transcoder.php?o=bx_froala_image&h=343&dpx=1&t=1611118441

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thanks Emmaloo, this looks really interesting and might help me structure properly... 

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Hi Anne

good luck! 

Just a tiny piece of personal experience, without any pretense of methodological value. 

I started my new novel writing a single chapter, just for the fun of it, I liked the central scene. I had no idea it would have become a novel. Then someone read it, and they loved it, my motivation grew, and I added a second chapter, and a third, always maintaining its coherence. It became a short story, now it is a 50,000 words novel - and growing.

Miraculously, the plot and characters grew with the text. The original scene is now Chapter Twenty-Three. LOL. I don't know how good the novel is, but writing it this way was fun!  And it is definitely a low-cost approach.

So, you could just take the chapter you like better, featuring the character you love most, and build a new story around it, I guess other chapters you wrote will come in handy throughout the creative journey... but actually, I don't know if it could work for you or for other friends. 

It is just my tiny piece of personal experience.

Greetings from sunny Italy

Jo, near Venice 

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Thanks Jo, that sounds intriguing... I think my problem is I tried to reuse too many chapters and the whole thing became disjointed. Maybe if I picked just one or two, I can make it work better. Definitely worth thinking about!

Thank you from a wet and very windy Buckinghamshire 

Anne

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • I feel very sorry for you just reading this.  Sometimes it is a real struggle. You have to actually like doing it to stick at it! Admire your persistence. Plotting and planning is a very personal thing but I think Harry's book on how to write a novel is very useful to read or re-read.  Being clear eyed about your characters - the story/plot and every sentence doing one thing well and clearly - all good advice from it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Forgot I had Harry's book... I must go look for it and reread as you say cos it’s been a while. I do think it’s a struggle writing a novel (my flash fiction just "appears") but I enjoy it and now I’m retired it gives me purpose... thank you for the nudge and giving me something to think about

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Forgot I had Harry's book... I must go look for it and reread as you say cos it’s been a while. I do think it’s a struggle writing a novel (my flash fiction just "appears") but I enjoy it and now I’m retired it gives me purpose... thank you for the nudge and giving me something to think about

0 0 0 0 0 0
              Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.