Got an agent!

Hi all,

Just writing with the good news that I landed an agent in New York through the Jericho one to one sessions (that were set up during the Festival of Writing).

And even better news is that the agent doesn’t think my MS needs any work. And that’s thanks to Jericho – I wrote the novel (a thriller) with the help of a Jericho mentor, Daren King (link below).

Of course, getting an agent is only half the battle. Now the challenge is to get a publisher.

I landed the agent on my fourth one to one session. I didn’t do four sessions to try to get an agent, but just wanted different opinions on my pitch and writing sample. My first two agents were with London publishers, but I felt my novel (set in the Americas) was a better fit with a US publisher and so hit up two other agents through the Jericho sessions who were based in NY. Both gave positive feedback on my pitch and writing sample, but it was the fourth and final agent who requested a full MS and offered representation after he finished reading it a few days later.

Please don’t see this as any ‘easy’ success. I worked on the novel for three years. It involved a round with the Jericho mentor, a round of heavy self editing, then another round with the mentor on the second draft. I then hired another Jericho editor to give it a read over in an MS critique assessment. And only after I put his excellent suggestions into place in my MS did I go near an agent.

As an aside, I pitched the novel to about 20 agents in the UK three months ago. I only got about three/four replies - all nays (mostly with replies like  'it's not our thing', 'it's a tough market', 'I've given up on fiction', 'I didn't connect with your writing', all which is fine). So don't be disheartened if you're going down that route and getting nowhere. It's a slushpile slog.

Anyway, keep writing. Work hard. Never give up.  And you’ll get there.

Jeff

https://jerichowriters.com/freelance-professional-editors/daren-king/

0 0 0 0 0 0
Replies (42)
  • Congratulations how wonderful 

0 0 0 0 0 0
    • Wow! Well done Jeff.Brilliant news.

0 0 0 0 0 0
      • That's amazing, Jeff! I remember you saying you were pitching a few months back. I'm so glad it came off for you. Enjoy, enjoy and good luck with publishers too. 😄

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Thanks, Lynn.

0 0 0 0 0 0
        • Congratulations! I got a rejection yesterday, so it's good to know others are suceeding at this arduous task! Makes me hopeful.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • Take the rejections on the chin. And remember it's their loss.

0 0 0 0 0 0
          • That is so exciting. I actually feel (almost) as excited as if it was me and I don't even know you. Well done. It is so nice to know that all that hard work, deep thinking and so forth paid off. Hurrah for you.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Nice words, Georgina, thanks! Hopefully we'll meet down the line, maybe at a future Jericho Writing Festival when this Covid is over.

0 0 0 0 0 0
            • Fantastic news Jeff and hard won! Good luck with the next exciting stage of your career, your work ethic and dedication will stand you in great stead I'm sure 🥂

0 0 0 0 0 0
              • Thanks, K.T., nice words.

My first draft was "awful", my mentor admitted when I told him I got an agent.

So to go from 'awful' to an MS good enough to get an agent was just hard work.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • There's hope for us all! Really pleased for you  

0 0 0 0 0 0
                • Congratulations! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Thanks!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                  • Well done. You give us all hope.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                    • Don't worry about hope - just put the work in and all else will fall into place.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • I know. Believe me I am trying!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                      • Congratulations! Who's the agent? 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                        • Congratulations, Jeff. Fab news.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                          • Jeff - Many Congratulations to you. I am at exactly the same stage (just signed with a London agent for my first novel, an historical thriller). Be very interested in your experience of the next steps.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                            • Congratulations

0 0 0 0 0 0
                              • Well done to you, Hamish. Look forward to reading your novel when it's out. Do post about it.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • Congratulations, Hamish. A major hurdle out of the way. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                • well done - brilliant news - all that hard work paid off!!!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Thanks, Danny.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                  • Congratulations, that's fantastic news!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                    • Well done. It seems you have made a worthwhile investment of time and money. Hope the publishing contract is hot on the heels of this news.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Yeah, let's see. If nothing comes of it I've an agent - for now - to pitch the next project.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                      • Wow, congratulations! A dream come true -- Good job!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        • That's great news. After so much time, money and effort you must be really pleased.

I've never tried a one-to-one but you've certainly got me interested now.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                          • Congratulations.  Your dedication and ability have won this success and it feels encouraging to the rest of us.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • Encouraging, yeah that's why I posted.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                            • Wow - this is such amazing news, Jeff! Massive congratulations and so happy that Jericho had a part in your journey. Would love to know which agent you've signed with.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                              • Hi Jeff, this is excellent news - congratulations! So happy for you. Please do keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on. 🎉 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                • Huge congratulations Jeff, we're all so happy for you! 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                  • Well done Jeff, especially for sticking with it despite the work involved and the rejections. Keep us posted. 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                    • It's lovely to hear about your success, Jeff. It encourages the rest of us so thank you for sharing.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                      • Congratulations Jeff! It's lovely to see hard work & persistence pay off 💪 

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                        • Congratulations. Go get that publisher!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                          • Congrats, Jeff, that's fantastic. I bet you're on cloud nine.

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                            • Brilliant! Well done!

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                              • Congratulations Jeff. You have put huge efforts, money and time and so happy it has paid off...step 1. Good luck with step 2. I look forward to seeing on bookshelves.

kerry

0 0 0 0 0 0
                                                                Not logged in users can't 'Comments Post'.
                                                                •  · 9 friends